Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
tpoindexter

Maytag Dryer MDE7600AYW

6 posts in this topic

Had a dryer with no heat today. Checked the power outlet and found 220 volts as needed.

Pulled apart and found no problems with any of the normal culprits.

Found no power coming from the motor to the element. After further checking I found the blue wire coming to the motor from L2 didn't have required voltage.

So I go back around behind and find the blue wire burnt in two at the terminal block and the first couple inches kinda melted.

I fixed the wire, checked the rollers and idler to ensure they were turning freely.

After putting it together turned the drum by hand and it didn't seem to turn too stiffly.

In my mind I'm thinking the motor was pulling too many amps. I didn't check the amp draw because frankly I didn't know what to do if it was drawing too many amps.

Question: What could have caused this ?

Edited by tpoindexter

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Blue wire isn't used for driving the motor, only goes through motor switch for heater circuit.

Eric

So maybe cycling thermostat? Loose connecting at terminal block?

Edited by tpoindexter

... blue wire burnt in two at the terminal block and the first couple inches kinda melted.
... What could have caused this ?

you may have a loose nut  :whistling:

Kinda what I'm thinking to Reg. Funny enough I didn't take note if it was tight when loosening to repair. But I did tighten the ground about 3/4ths of a turn and L1 about 1/4th after doing the repair at L1.

In my mind I'm thinking the motor was pulling too many amps. I didn't check the amp draw because frankly I didn't know what to do if it was drawing too many amps.

Question: What could have caused this ?

The motor is driven via L1 and neutral. Blue wire is L2 and only goes through motor switch for heater circuit. As Reg suggested, a loose connection or faulty wire terminal connection would overheat and cause the wire insulation to melt and wire to part.

Eric