Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher detergent stuck in tray

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rican

rican

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Did not see this in the FAQ and could not find the search feature to search past topics.  So here I go.  My kenmore diswasher runs through the whole cycle and the detergent never gets washed out of the tray.  The door opens, but it is a clump of moist detergent in the tray and the dishes are still dirty.  Any help?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Post model number and we can help you more.

#3 rican

rican

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Kenmore 66513742K603

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

rican, are you getting water to the unit?  The main cup on your dispenser opens at the start of the very last wash cycle and it's the responsibility of the circulating motor and spray arm to "knock" the detergent out of the dispenser.

Insufficient fill, blocked or obstructed spray arm, or possibly siphoning of water from the tub during wash may be the issue.  Check the drain hose for proper installation.  Should have a gooseneck where the drain hose attaches to the disposer or sink drain.  Check water level after fill, should be just below the heating element.  Also check the lower spray arm for rotation and any foreign objects blocking the ports.

#5 rican

rican

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Just started a cycle with an empty washer and the fill seems to be ok, just below the heating element.  It has been in service for years.  I can check the drain, but the washer is completely emty when check after a complete run.  Can you point me to some maintenance procedures for this washer. 

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Also are you running the hot water at the sink before you start your dishwasher? Do you have an on demand hot water heater?

#7 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Did you check spray arms for blockage?

Are any dishes blocking the dispenser from getting water from the spray arms?

sit a  8 to 10 oz cup in the upper basket in a back corner. Turn washer on, when wash cycle starts, time it for 1 minute, open door and see if cup is full?

Edited by tpoindexter, 14 August 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Test

#8 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Check for debris in sump and food chopper assembly. This can lower water pressure through spray arms causing poor cleaning and soap not dissolving. You need to remove lower wash arm, remove upper wash arm feed tube, remove 4 t20 torx screws to remove screen, then remove cover to chopper assembly (1 t15 torx screw).

#9 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

http://www.repaircli...r=665.13742K603

Watch the video how it install but this part can get plug up with junk. You can just clean it out if dirty.This would Cause the spray arms not to go around to wash out soap cup.Use a dishwasher cleaner once a month,rinse dishes before putting them in ,always use rinse aid and run kitchen sink hot water before running dishwasher.

#10 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

http://www.repaircli...r=665.13742K603

Watch the video how it install but this part can get plug up with junk. You can just clean it out if dirty.This would Cause the spray arms not to go around to wash out soap cup.Use a dishwasher cleaner once a month,rinse dishes before putting them in ,always use rinse aid and run kitchen sink hot water before running dishwasher.

With regards to rinsing dishes, I was informed that detergent was designed to react to the enzymes in food product to help the cleaning process. With that in mind, we recommend our customers to scrap dishes clean with a fork. No big chunks of food allowed.

#11 rican

rican

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thanks to all for the advice.  Haven't had a chance till now to get back to this.  The video link above helped a lot.  It told me how to get to the sump area and I cleaned out all debris there and everything looks good now. 

Thanks again.

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

... we recommend our customers to scrap dishes clean with a fork. No big chunks of food allowed.

yes,

Remember, no matter what the salesman says,

it's a DishWasher, not a Garbage Disposer.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

With regards to rinsing dishes, I was informed that detergent was designed to react to the enzymes in food product to help the cleaning process. With that in mind, we recommend our customers to scrap dishes clean with a fork. No big chunks of food allowed.

Correctillia!  You can read about the gory details in my epic tome on the subject:  http://appliantology...py-dishwashers/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics