Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Electrolux E23BC78IPS0 in Fresh Food section Ice Maker

Frigidaire Ice maker

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

New one for me, looks like it is made for Space Shuttle, complicated machine.   The manuals I have found are even more complicated, have to take extra time to study.   Any insights on this icestrocity.     Don't have a clue where to begin, makes me look stupid. 

Customer has it turned off, says the thingy magigy stays hot. ( it is hanging on right side of compartment)  Go back Friday morning to look stupid again.   The lady thinks I can just replace it like a whirlpool.   Lady it aint   whirlpool.   4 letter word for sex.  :turned:    Will work for help, help.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Run!!! Those things have a kit to replace all of that crap and the ice maker pcb. Unfortunately, I don't have the part number. They updated the board numerous times. They got rid of that design on the newer models.
First kit I installed took a few hours.

#3 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

I agree, run. I saw 1 once but luckily it just had some ice jamming up the rotating arm and I escaped with just some slight tremors from the unexpected encounter.

Edited by tpoindexter, 15 August 2013 - 12:36 AM.

Test

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

is this the icemaker where refrigerant line "fingers" rotate into the mold... I've been studying those things just in case I ran into one. F'in 30 pages of the service manual is devoted to this thing. So it's been discontinued? If we are talking about the same dumb ass contraption then hallelujah! I am just going to refuse to repair one.

Electrolux, we know you are trying to comply with stupid DOE requirements. But come on, you aint gotta be stupid (or in this case, stupider) as well.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Frigidaire Ice Maker Service Flash

http://appliantology...kit-5303918496/

EW28BS55
EW28BS56
EW28BS70
EW28BS71
EI28BS55
EI28BS56
EI28BS70
EI28BS71
EW23BC56
EW23BC71
EI23BC56
EI23BC71
E23BC78
FGHB
LGUB

Part link to service kit 5303918496 ==> http://www.repaircli...3918495/1795305

Frigidaire / Electrolux Ice Maker info
http://appliantology...ice-maker-info/

Frigidaire Ice Maker (Freezer Compartment)
> Frigidaire Ice Maker (Fresh Food Compartment)  32 pages
   Frigidaire Ice Maker (Flex Tray Fresh Food Compartment)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

That service kit grew every time I've ordered one.  I think it started out with just the splashguard.  Then they added the icemaker control board, heater and sensor, motor and shut off arm, etc.

Patricio, the customer said the icemaker stayed hot.  There is an expansion valve that's part of the icemaker evaporator.  Could be mechanical problem keeping it in harvest mode, hopefully. 

Once you begin servicing this icemaker, prepare to be married to it.

The latest, and most effective repair tip (for overfrosting), remove the ice bin from the shroud.  Shine a flashlight inside the shroud, particularly along the top right side and top front.  Upon finding gaps, seal with foam tape.  This simple fix seemed to correct more frosting issues than anything in the service kit.

Edited by PDuff, 15 August 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Nightmare

Arm
http://www.repaircli...1939901/1483653
IM Control
http://www.repaircli...umber=241956703
Dielectric grease for every connection
http://www.repaircli...4485963/2690447
Foam tape seals to keep moisture out of the ice room
http://www.repaircli...1869708/1531414
Clean the ice room evaporator drain as well.

There's a good reason this ice maker wasn't in production long.
I'd like to find the engineer who came up with it and stick bamboo slits up his/her toenails!

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

In the war between Techs and Appliances, I'd let the appliance win this battle and graciously beat an organized retreat with my manhood intact. Call me chicken but a real beer drinking quiche-hating man must know his limitations and in all things, he must certainly know when to pull out.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

This thing is absurb!   The 30 pages on the IM  crazy.   I need some of the stuff the engineer was smoking.   $3500 refrigerator, who in their right mind would spend that kind of cash.   Been a long day  my head hurts looking at this thing.    The diagnostic codes are mind boggling.    I am getting to old, can't comprehend.

The service flash, "if the unit has previously been upgraded with kit *18485, order & install kit *18496.  If the unit has not been upgraded in past, order & install kit *18495".   I won't go into the claim filing BS, but will say that it states if unit is over 18 months old claim will be rejected even if authorization is approved.   Email .....the rejected claim number.   

I amin the starting block shoot the gun so I can run...Damn why me, lady expects me to fix.  

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Lady really wants me to repair, what am I to do.   She is confident that I can.

In the war between Techs and Appliances, I'd let the appliance win this battle and graciously beat an organized retreat with my manhood intact. Call me chicken but a real beer drinking quiche-hating man must know his limitations and in all things, he must certainly know when to pull out.

I am a stubborn old mule who is a sucker for punishment.  Onward thru the fog. :rolleyes:

Patricio, the customer said the icemaker stayed hot.  There is an expansion valve that's part of the icemaker evaporator.  Could be mechanical problem keeping it in harvest mode, hopefully. 

How would I check or repair the expansion valve?  Wouldn't I need to enter the sealed system?

IgonFishn

#11 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Through the diagnostics list in the ice make test sheet.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think the EEV should be ok, Patricio.  If you are going to repair order the latest service kit.  Some of the parts that are updates to other areas of the refrigerator you may or may not wish to install, just use your discretion.  Do replace everything having to do with the icemaker, heater, motor, I/M control board, foam tape, etc.  Perform the cycle and component tests listed.

Just be up front with the customer and advise her of the history of the product and that you can't guarantee how long it will work.  And keep in mind Brother Durham's Dirty Harry quote, "A man's got to know his limitations".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics