Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore HE4 dryer taking forever to dry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 legaleagle

legaleagle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Model is 110.85872400

We've had this dryer since 1/2006 and it's gradually taking longer and longer to dry, to the point that none of the non-high heat sensing cycles gets the clothes more than damp, even with the "more dry" option.   The timed cycles do still work but are also taking longer and longer - a good 80-85 minutes for full-but-not-stuffed load of regular fairly lightweight clothes (t shirts, etc).   I have cleaned out the dryer vent to the outside fairly regularly and that doesn't really help.  I recently looked around the bottom of the inside of the dryer when I disconnected the vent and didn't see any lint build up.  I also cleaned off the little sensor bars on the inside and am fanatical about cleaning the lint trap.  I have never used fabric softener or dryer sheets.   I have 3 small children and do a LOT of laundry - 10-14 loads a week for the last 5 years.   I found the video on dissembling the duet/he3 dryer, should I take off the front panel and see if there's a secret stash of lint clogging things up?  Anything else I can test?  We have multimeters, etc already. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Dryer Vent 4" diameter

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

If you have a Harbor Freight Store near you,
$ 3.99 sometimes on sale for $ 2.99
image_1255.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 legaleagle

legaleagle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

We have some kind of semi-ridid metal duct back there - has accordion texture but is actually quite stiff.  It does have a small crimp in it from moving around so I can replace.  There's only about 6" max between dryer and wall and they aren't even close to lining up (no side-to-side room to maneuver anyway).  It's held on with those metal clamp things that go around the outside of the pipes - would tape be better?  Or is there some kind of less rigid duct.   It has previously gotten disconnected with some lint buildup behind there but I believe I reconnected it solidly when I checked everything a couple weeks ago.  Vent to outside of house goes down through one of those wall boxes that does a 180 (checked recently t's completely lint free) and is straight and rigid, about 12-14" long.  We have in the past used one of those dryer cleaning kits that hooks up to the shop vac and gotten some lint out but didn't improve the drying much.  I will disconnect and check the vent temp - how long should it take to get up to 130?   How do I measure airflow - is there some kind of minimum flow I need to see?  Thanks for the thermometer link too. 

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

...  I will disconnect and check the vent temp

... how long should it take to get up to 130?  

... How do I measure airflow - is there some kind of minimum flow I need to see?

1) see if it dries any faster with the Vent disconnected

2) about 3 mins for my Gas Dryer

3) should be able to feel it with your hand ..

check with Vent disconnected,

then check at outside of house

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

The crimp in your vent hose would be the most likely suspect.

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

But a good check would be to disconnect it and see the results like Reg suggests. Is there any lint build up on the door?

#7 legaleagle

legaleagle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

There's no significant buildup on the inside door vent, that I can see.  I did check the air pressure at the outside vent (haven't disconnected the back yet) and it seemed good though there was some lint buildup on the plastic fins so I cleaned that off.  I will get some more flexible metal pipe for the inside connection this weekend and check the other things as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics