Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

testing a compressor relay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jamesleehart

jamesleehart

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have an Electrolux lffu2065dw6 freezer.  It is put out as a Frigidaire.  I need to know how to test the compressor relay and compacitor.  I have power to the relay wires but the compressor will not come on.  There are 3 prongs on the compressor where the relay plugs in and so there are 3 holes on the relay itself.   Is there a way to test power coming out of the 3 holes?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

you could test the Compressor

http://appliantology...ssor-test-cord/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I do not test this type of relay by checking its voltage output. Normally, I would do the tried and true shake test (shake it, if it rattles it's bad). If it doesn't rattle, I would try a used compatible relay that I know is good. If the compressor starts (usually it's in run mode) I know the run winding on the compressor is okay and there is no mechanical problems. I would then unplug the fridge and plug it back it and wait for it to come on in the start mode. If it comes on, then I replace the relay with a new one.

If the compressor doesn't start (make sure the compressor isn't too hot as its thermal protection will prevent it from starting) I test the compressor windings and check for short to ground.

Since you probably don't have compatible relays hanging around, simply do the shake test. If it doesn't rattle, test your compressor. If it passes then buy a relay from repair clinic. If it doesn't work, get your money back.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

The relay can show power through and still be bad.

Many relays that are bad will rattle when you shake them.

As Master Reg stated...test the compressor,if the pins read good,the relay is probably bad.

#5 jamesleehart

jamesleehart

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

The ohmmeter test was good.  The relay does not rattle.  I do not have one of those test cords and am not sure how to make one.  Like I said, I am getting power to the two wires that plug into the relay so that tells me that it is either the relay or the compressor.    Would the compacitor have anything to do with it?

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

...I am getting power to the two wires that plug into the relay

tested while everything is still connected ?

(should be)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

I rarely find a bad capacitor. Testing depends on the type of meter you have. Here is a youtube video for testing using an analog meter. You can find other videos to show you how to do it with the type of meter you have. Make sure to discharge the capacitor first.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

James, I've had few Frigidaire upright freezers that I've had to replace the relay on.  Same symptoms and signs.  Relay checked good with the ohm meter.  No visible or audible (shaking) damage indicated.  As long as the compressor windings ohm ok, replace the relay.

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

The capacitor is a run capacitor and will not affect the starting of the compressor, sounds like a bad relay. I believe the relay you have is not the standard PTS relay and doesn't normally rattle when bad.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#10 jamesleehart

jamesleehart

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Well, I ordered a relay and I will see what happens.  Everything else seemed to check out fine.  Thanks for all of the responses to my call for help.

#11 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

This is my experience, Freezer compressor would not start.Took the start relay to an appliance repair shop, checked relay (that rattled)with an ohm meter and it checked good.He showed me a new relay and it rattled too.By that I decided not to buy a new relay if mine was good. Came home and used my test cord and the compressor started just fine.Because I hated to loose more food by taking a chance I went ahead and bought a new freezer.I intended to keep my old one and check it out further but the delivery man came 2 hrs. early and had already hauled it away.If it were me I would try a new relay,if it works great and if it doesn't you're out $20.00.At least you won't feel bad like me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics