Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cause and effect, timer bad, because motor shorted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Sharpining the axe here.  Will a motor shorting out cause the timer to fail?  . Need to get this cause and effect info.  Bad timer I have so need to test motor winding and circuit before installing a replacement timer.  I noticed on the plug connector going to motor that blue wire terminal has burn spot.  Any wisdom greatly appreciated.  Looks like appliance repair is going to be my bread and butter for a while.  If you can refer me to some post on do's and don'ts or advice please post.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

YES

MODEL NUMBER ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

estate washer, etw4400wq1.  I'm hoping I can make some cash flow, so I can update my membership here.  The help here is great got 4 units today and seven yesterday and starting to get more service calls.  I bought thoes units to resale.. one was a cabrio.  Trying to find a pricing guied for resale.  I also saw one of your post on using a blue book for service calls.  Live in a low income area, but don't want to work for free either.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

Washer Motors don't usually "short"

(unless you can visually see burned Motor windings)

May just be a bad connection on  the Motor blue wire ..

Does the Washer Agitate, Spin, Motor hum ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

It does nothing, dont have power out of timer to any motor leads,  watching a vid, the guy said you may be replacing the timer, because a motor shorted or the timer failed.  Hmm I thought, motor shorted and fried the timer, back feed of current, since there is not any circuit protection between the two components, that could be.  I was checking this out last night before it got dark, going to go check out motor readings in a few.  Took some good notes.  Trying to get some proper checklist to follow.  Cause and effect.  Bad motor, will cause a timer to fail, so check the motor and ???? before installing a 115.00 timer.  In the industry we are supose to check out the system before resetting circuit breakers, most techs just reset and hope it works so they don't have too.  Fuses are cheap, but timers are not.  Thanks for response going to shop will check back later.

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Shorted motor windings are rare. The burnt wire terminal is caused by bad connection at terminal. Bad connection means resistance, current through resistance produces heat, heat burns contact and/or wire at that point. Motor circuit is protected by breaker for wall socket as well as the motor thermal overload. If motor winding is shorted to ground, panel breaker is the only protection. The best thing to do here is first to fix the bad terminal. Install new timer, place amprobe around motor feed wire and start washer. If it draws over 10 amps, there is a problem. Motor contacts in timer are rated for 15 amps. You will notice the sticker on the timer that shows the connections, some terminals have a + next to them and others have an The ones with the I are rated for 15 amps, ones with the + are rated at 10 amps. A dead short in the motor would trip the panel circuit breaker immediately. A partial short would draw excessive current which you would see on the amprobe so you could shut washer off before any damaged occured to any timer contacts, lid switch contacts or pressure switch contacts.

Eric

#7 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for info. Tested the motor windings, no issue there, I was getting no power to the motor, started checking connections, took connector off of timer. Took the motor switch off and discovered it was not like the old style.  Hmmm getting more lessons.  Wire colors going to motor all diffrent, more notes taken and scratching of head..  Lol. I had taken water pump loose snd spun the motor.  I decided to try it again and, it works now.  Ran it several times and it doesnt malfunction. Applying rule # 1 if it works dont' mess with it..  I posted on here asking if anyone new of a good book that has info on electrical and mechanical  appliance info,  The post got moved and I can't find it.  Have you ran across a good book.

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Your post was moved to General Appliance Repair.
http://appliantology...k/?fromsearch=1

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#9 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Just an update on the problem with this washer, was a china made motor, blue terminal was showing burn spot, motor burned out, had to replace the motor.  Would check out good in the shop but when installed in a house it failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics