Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher & Paykel GWL10 won't turn on/ low humming noise coming from the tub

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shannonink

Shannonink

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lambic

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

A few months ago my Fisher & Paykel GWL10 was not properly draining.  I was able to get it to throw an error code and determined that the diverter valve wasn't working properly.  I was able to drop the pump, clean it out, and everything was good in the world again.

Fast forward a few months, one of my children opened the lid of the machine while it was in the middle of its last spin cycle and the wash machine became seriously unhappy.  It started by not turning on.  We unplugged it, let it reset itself, but it never really worked quite right for the week after.  Now it won't power on, won't throw an error code, and there is a low humming noise coming from the tub.  I dropped the pump again, except this time it got wet and would trip the circuit when I plugged it in.  I got the pump to dry out, the plug is hot, but we are back to won't power on, won't throw a code and low humming noise.

This machine is 13 years old.  I am worried that it will be quite expensive to repair, even doing it myself, and wonder if it is throwing good money after bad.   Is it worth trying to fix or should I go and buy a used Calypso from the rebuild shop I have been using for years for $250 and save myself the time and money of trying to fix this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

DO NOT BUY A CALYPSO !

The older, like yours, F&P washer would have the main control fail when the pump shorted or even jammed up. Plus, if the lid was forced open during a spin cycle, you likely need a new lid lock assembly. It would be a good time to look for something else, but not a Calypso.

The Calypso was a huge failure. Constant repairs and very poor wash results made it one of the worst appliances any company ever built. It's a big steaming pile of monkey dung.

Even if it was reliable, and it is not, the Calypso is lousy at cleaning the clothes. They get colossal build ups of crud inside the outer tub that cause mold and smell. I've had customers tell me the clothes were dirtier after washing than when they went into the machine.

Nick

Edited by nickfixit, 18 August 2013 - 07:52 AM.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

GWL10 (Phase 5) does not have a lid lock.  It has a magnetically-actuated reed lid switch.  Lid lock wasn't added to the design until GWL11 (Phase 6 design).

GWL10 has a unique electrical design ... 230V pump.  Main power runs through the pump circuit, so the machine will effectively be dead if the pump kicks-out on thermal overload ... then run again (but maybe not for long) when the pump thermal resets.

Pull the pump and take a resistance reading on it.  Should be 33 ohms.

What does visual exam of the pump show?  Any evidence of leaking -- rusting on the pump body or mineral deposits?

BTW, I've been using a Calypso for the past 5 years.  Best cleaning toploader I've used thus far (which is not to say that I've tried them all).  People who get bad results from Calypsos aren't using them properly, bad laundry habits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics