LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Lennox Complete Heat System

RegUS_PatOff

I have a 10 yr old Lennox Complete Heat System

HM30 with AM30

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

(laughter continues)

I'm thinking of replacing them ..

What are my options / recommendations for a high efficiency direct vent gas water heater and

direct vent 105,000 btu furnace ?

and a 20 yr old Bryant 2 ton A/C EER 10.0 w/ scroll Compressor

13 is your minimum SEER .

A higher SEER demands more upfront cost that may or may not be returned in utility savings over the life of the unit.

Most furnaces come with a 20 year to lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.

Any condenser with a Copeland compressor would be recommended.

Most systems now come with a 10 year parts warranty.

Amana condensers can be purchased with a lifetime warranty.

• Like 1

NOTE: On the Amana condenser warranty.

If the coil or compressor fail Amana replaces the unit,not the part.

• 1 month later...

I'm not aware of any basic central AC system sold in the US today that does not use a Copeland scroll. Even value brands like Goodman use them instead of Bristol recips like back in the day when I helped on the first CAC rulemaking (anno 1999). Only VS compressors like the panasonic in the Nordyne, or the rotaries found in some mini-splits / RAC's / PTACs are not scrolls. 

If budget is a concern, there are plenty of gas storage water heaters that allow direct vent. Simple, keep the combustion gases outside, etc. Easy to replace too. Powered units should allow more freedom re: venting materials (see Vertex, for example) but may be noisy. 

As for the furnace & AC unit, I think the installer is a bigger factor than the brand, all things considered. If you're in a cold part of the country or use propane, condensing furnaces are usually a no-brainer. Staging may help comfort and/or zoning. Similarly, a 16 SEER AC system may be a good deal after rebates, state, local, utility incentives. I'd look into both. 

One thing to always check also is whether your system is compliant re: the static pressure drop requirements set out by the manufacturer. I.e. are there sufficient supply / return ducts of the right size, etc. to ensure the thing can do its job. It's always amazing for me to see a six-figure job done wrong!

• Like 1