Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RF267AE Defrost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoZoner

GoZoner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

I've seen a number of defrost posts and already know a few things to try but here is my story.

Two years old, in use refrigerator.  At 1.5 years starting hearing a fan tick-tick-tick noise and noticed ice in the 'vents' within the refrigerator section.  youtube search lead to unplugging the fridge, letting it warm, with a little hair dryer help, until the ice melted.  Happened again two months ago; happened two weeks ago.  I can now feel a bit of ice in the 'vents' (normally styrofoam) and I suspect it will happen again.

What are the suspects in this problem?  Would the diagnostic codes tell anything at this point?  Would a manual defrost get us past the upcoming freeze over?  Is there a sensor to relocate?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

any error codes ?

(single or multiple display segments lit)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

First you need to remove all the ice buildup, not just what you see through the vents. Turning the fridge off and using a hair dryer may not remove all the build up. Remove the evap cover and remove all frost found. If not, the remaining ice/frost becomes a seed crystal allowing frost to grow much faster.

Secondly, instead of relocating the ff evap sensor, I would replace it. Also make sure the condensate drain is open and clear and repair any door gasket and evap cover insulation problems.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 GoZoner

GoZoner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

any error codes ?

(single or multiple display segments lit)

Will get and report.

First you need to remove all the ice buildup, not just what you see through the vents. Turning the fridge off and using a hair dryer may not remove all the build up. Remove the evap cover and remove all frost found. If not, the remaining ice/frost becomes a seed crystal allowing frost to grow much faster.

Secondly, instead of relocating the ff evap sensor, I would replace it. Also make sure the condensate drain is open and clear and repair any gasket problems.

Sorry, just getting started with learning about this; where is the evap cover?

#5 GoZoner

GoZoner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

The error codes show '88   88'.

Got the manual; now know where the evaporator cover is and what to expect under it.  Does replacing the 'ff evap sensor' and clearing the condensate drain solve this problem?  Is the sensor replaced with an identical part or with an improved one?  Where to purchase the proper part?

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Sensor P/N DA32-00006S available through the Appliantology Parts Finder below.  As Brother Durham advised, be sure to completely clear the Styrofoam air ducts inside the evaporator cover.  I usually run hot water through the ducts and allow to dry before reinstalling.  Also check the defrost drain tube where it exits the rear cabinet for blockage.

#7 GoZoner

GoZoner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sensor P/N DA32-00006S available through the Appliantology Parts Finder below.  As Brother Durham advised, be sure to completely clear the Styrofoam air ducts inside the evaporator cover.  I usually run hot water through the ducts and allow to dry before reinstalling.  Also check the defrost drain tube where it exits the rear cabinet for blockage.

Thanks.  I see the same part number in the service manual.  It looks to be easily accessible once the evap cover is off for de-icing.  Any pictures of that?  A simple 'plug n play' swap?  Regarding the drain tube, when you say 'where it exits the rear cabinet' does that mean the drain tube is accessible and clearable from within the fridge compartment (and thus is easily done w/o accessing the rear of the fridge)?  Or is accessing the rear required?  Any picture of this?

Edited by GoZoner, 19 August 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yes, it is accessible from inside the fridge.....I use a steamer but hot water should clear it.  Make sure it drains the water completely. If not, then you may have a blockage that might require accessing from under the fridge. First try to clear it from the inside the fridge if it is blocked.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 GoZoner

GoZoner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

How does the evap cover come off?  ...  Got it off.  Seems the drain was wide open.  Iced over above the coils.  Melted it all.  Haven't gotten the sensor yet but will re-assemble, since it is so easy having done it once, and then disassemble to install the sensor.  Fingers crossed it starts cooling again.

Edited by GoZoner, 23 August 2013 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics