Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

anniethefixer

Amana washer model nav25aww

11 posts in this topic

You helped me fix my last washer, hopefully you can help me again!

We moved.  Washer in new place is the amana toploader with model number above.

Here is the problem:   When the machine agitates, it makes a horrible groaning, creaking, knocking noise.

I opened the top of the machine and depressed the latch while in wash mode. 

The noise does not seem to be coming from the agitator.  It seems to be coming from the drum that is advancing an inch or two with each movement of the agitator.

The machine is still working fine, it just makes a horrible racket.  I assume something will break soon.

Any suggestions?  Can I do this repair myself?

Thanks Appliance Samurai.  I really appreciate any help you can give.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check that model#, I cant find that one.

Most likely problem is worn out brake pads not holding the transmission locked when agitating.

A relatively easy repair.

Thank you.  I don't know what happened when I input the number before.  My apologies.

The correct model number is NAV2335AWW.

If it is the brake pads, do I just buy new ones and install?

Yes, there are three brake pads, they come as a complete kit with three pads, new attachment bolts and grommets.

Thank you very much.

Is this the right part number?  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Brake-Pads/R0000014/786526

No grease, or do I buy the grease, too?  if so, lightly apply, right?

And this sounds like what I have to do:  http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-409-tips-for-replacing-the-brake-pads-in-a-maytag-amana-nav-sav-top-load-washer/

Any other tips or advice?

Again, thanks!!

Whoop, scratch everything about the brake pads, I made the mistake of not looking up the model you originally gave that was also as prairiestr said incorrect.

Yours is the not the real SpeedQueen/Amana style it is the Norge style with thrust bearing/pulley assembly that either needs replaced or adjusted for less preload so the brake engages fully and doesn't slip while the unit is agitating.

Forget that compete post you read and found, sorry!

Wow.  So, I felt like I could do brake pads.

Now, I am faced with thrust bearing/pulley assembly adjust or replacement.   OK.  I am so glad you caught that.  Thank you!

So, any tips on figuring out how to do the adjustment for less preload?  Are there any other posts or information that you could point me to?

can you please post a link for the assembly that I should buy?

And then if I have to go that route, I will ask for further help with the replacement.

But, for now, please help on how to do the adjustment.

Sorry for my delayed response, been away and busy getting kids ready to start school.

Really appreciate your help on this!!

Is this the bearing and pulley assembly I need?  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Pulley/12002213/1042142

Any tips on making adjustments to the assembly to try to fix the problem?  Or should I just replace the whole thing. 

I did find this discussion. http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-113-maytag-atlantis-washer-thrust-bearing-c-clip-wisdom/

Is this the jist of what I have to do?

Thank you again for any help you can give me.

Anne

The quick and dirty way to do it without any parts or new thinner shim washer is to take the pulley and helix off then grind just a small bit off the top side of the pulley area that rides up against the thrust bearing assembly, (best to do this on a good squared off table grinder to make sure you grind it flat and level, although I have used a flat grinding wheel on a drill totally by hand and had success), just a small amount then reassemble and test and repeat as needed to get a brake but no slip while agitating.

Usually with the thick shim washer that is recommended to be used on the new kits, it is really hard to get the final washer and c-clip in because of the pre-load.  I've found with the thinner washer or grinding the thrust surface of the pulley and making it where you don't have to dig a screwdriver tip into the c-ring slot and force the shaft down to be able to install c-clip it will still release the brake approximately in the middle of the travel indicator and it will lock the brake good and tight when agitating.

If you mess this up you just buy the whole kit and start over.  I've found the problem is too much pre-load on the the thrust bearing not letting the brake grab good and tight then over the years the slight movement becomes more and the noise starts as the brake lining wears.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
2 people like this

Excellent information!! Thank you.  We will tackle this and let you know how we do.  We really appreciate you help, Willie!!