Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana washer model nav25aww

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

You helped me fix my last washer, hopefully you can help me again!

We moved.  Washer in new place is the amana toploader with model number above.

Here is the problem:   When the machine agitates, it makes a horrible groaning, creaking, knocking noise.

I opened the top of the machine and depressed the latch while in wash mode. 

The noise does not seem to be coming from the agitator.  It seems to be coming from the drum that is advancing an inch or two with each movement of the agitator.

The machine is still working fine, it just makes a horrible racket.  I assume something will break soon.

Any suggestions?  Can I do this repair myself?

Thanks Appliance Samurai.  I really appreciate any help you can give.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 prairiestr

prairiestr

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jack

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Check that model#, I cant find that one.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Most likely problem is worn out brake pads not holding the transmission locked when agitating.

A relatively easy repair.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thank you.  I don't know what happened when I input the number before.  My apologies.

The correct model number is NAV2335AWW.

If it is the brake pads, do I just buy new ones and install?

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Yes, there are three brake pads, they come as a complete kit with three pads, new attachment bolts and grommets.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thank you very much.

Is this the right part number?  http://www.repaircli...R0000014/786526

No grease, or do I buy the grease, too?  if so, lightly apply, right?

And this sounds like what I have to do:  http://appliantology...op-load-washer/

Any other tips or advice?

Again, thanks!!

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

Whoop, scratch everything about the brake pads, I made the mistake of not looking up the model you originally gave that was also as prairiestr said incorrect.

Yours is the not the real SpeedQueen/Amana style it is the Norge style with thrust bearing/pulley assembly that either needs replaced or adjusted for less preload so the brake engages fully and doesn't slip while the unit is agitating.

Forget that compete post you read and found, sorry!

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wow.  So, I felt like I could do brake pads.

Now, I am faced with thrust bearing/pulley assembly adjust or replacement.   OK.  I am so glad you caught that.  Thank you!

So, any tips on figuring out how to do the adjustment for less preload?  Are there any other posts or information that you could point me to?

can you please post a link for the assembly that I should buy?

And then if I have to go that route, I will ask for further help with the replacement.

But, for now, please help on how to do the adjustment.

Sorry for my delayed response, been away and busy getting kids ready to start school.

Really appreciate your help on this!!

#9 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Is this the bearing and pulley assembly I need?  http://www.repaircli...2002213/1042142

Any tips on making adjustments to the assembly to try to fix the problem?  Or should I just replace the whole thing. 

I did find this discussion. http://appliantology...-c-clip-wisdom/

Is this the jist of what I have to do?

Thank you again for any help you can give me.

Anne

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

The quick and dirty way to do it without any parts or new thinner shim washer is to take the pulley and helix off then grind just a small bit off the top side of the pulley area that rides up against the thrust bearing assembly, (best to do this on a good squared off table grinder to make sure you grind it flat and level, although I have used a flat grinding wheel on a drill totally by hand and had success), just a small amount then reassemble and test and repeat as needed to get a brake but no slip while agitating.

Usually with the thick shim washer that is recommended to be used on the new kits, it is really hard to get the final washer and c-clip in because of the pre-load.  I've found with the thinner washer or grinding the thrust surface of the pulley and making it where you don't have to dig a screwdriver tip into the c-ring slot and force the shaft down to be able to install c-clip it will still release the brake approximately in the middle of the travel indicator and it will lock the brake good and tight when agitating.

If you mess this up you just buy the whole kit and start over.  I've found the problem is too much pre-load on the the thrust bearing not letting the brake grab good and tight then over the years the slight movement becomes more and the noise starts as the brake lining wears.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 31 August 2013 - 06:09 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Excellent information!! Thank you.  We will tackle this and let you know how we do.  We really appreciate you help, Willie!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics