Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher Paykel GWL11 Catastrophe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markboehm

markboehm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tropical Passion Iced

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

So, I replaced the pump in my FP GWL11, and everything was working well.  Of course the fuse for the new pump has to be spliced into the brown pump wire, which is (to my fingers) very short.  Consequently, one of my splices didn't want to hold.  Of course, it came loose when I had a washer full of towels.  When I heard the telltale beeps, I sort of figured what the problem was, so I leaned the (full) tub back, stuck a block under there, and proceeded to reconnect the errant splice.  I was as careful as I could be not to "spill" any of the water in the full tub over the side, and the front was propped up maybe 8".

Here's where it gets "interesting".  I wanted to make sure the pump would work properly, so I fired the machine back up w/ the the front still up in the air 8" or so (not level).  I figured that way I could tell if the pump would work properly.  Everything worked exceedingly well!  For a few seconds...

The pump turned on and started draining then tub.  Suddenly, WHOOSH - the entire fluid contents of the full tub began cascading out the bottom of the machine.  I immediately yanked the plug from the wall, but I didn't see (in my panic) precisely where the water was coming from, as the tub was flooding my laundry room.

SO, I have a number of questions. 

1.  Does anybody have any idea wth happened?  Did the pump not "seal" properly because the machine wasn't level, or something like that?

2.  What is just total dumbassery to try to run the machine when it wasn't level, even just to (try to) drain, not spin?

3.  I dont think I fried my control board, because of the fuse and the fact that I yanked the plug so quickly, but... Any suggestions as to how I should proceed from this point forward?

Any help/comments greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

I sort of figured what the problem was, so I leaned the (full) tub back, stuck a block under there, and proceeded to reconnect the errant splice.

Here's where it gets "interesting".  I wanted to make sure the pump would work properly, so I fired the machine back up w/ the the front still up in the air 8" or so (not level).  I figured that way I could tell if the pump would work properly.  Everything worked exceedingly well!  For a few seconds...

The pump turned on and started draining then tub.  Suddenly, WHOOSH - the entire fluid contents of the full tub began cascading out the bottom of the machine.  I immediately yanked the plug from the wall, but I didn't see (in my panic) precisely where the water was coming from, as the tub was flooding my laundry room.

Point 1:  Unless the instructions have changed, the fuse is to be spliced into the appropriate pump wire on the harness inside the console, not under the tub at the pump.

Regards to the flood, maybe a hose came loose ... or perhaps got cracked (drain hose leading up to the cabinet port) due to the weight of the tub full of water pressing against it.

#3 markboehm

markboehm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Tks for the speedy reply - I either misread the instructions, or they were unclear.  Should I try to "rectify" the (fuse) situation, or leave it as is?

I'll have to check the hoses, but I don't think that's it BECAUSE...  just now when lowered the machine down to level, some residual water drained out (onto the floor, of course).  So now I have the machine completely disconnected, face down on floor since it read it shouldn't be laid on its back.

#4 markboehm

markboehm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

FOUND my flooding problem - disconnected hose.  So - do you think I should hassle w fixing my error in putting the fuse in the wrong spot?

#5 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Probably leave the fuse ... as you say there's not much wire length with which to work for resplicing at that location.

I avoid laying washers flat-down on the ground to avoid water spillage ... there's always some residual water left in the pump/sump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics