Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
GVlog

Whirlpool SF385PEEW surface burners won't spark. Diagnosis?

5 posts in this topic

Hello again folks! 

So my wife told me that all the surface burners on our Whirlpool SF385PEEW (an old Super Capacity 465 from 1997) won't spark. We've had to ignite them with a lighter stick. When I try to turn any of the burners on, I don't hear the clicking anymore.

Reading the information on this site suggests that it could be (A) the top burner igniters (a couple were a little ineffective a few months ago), (B) the spark ignition switches, or © the spark module. I'm sure I'll need to fix the two front igniters, but how do I diagnose whether to replace the spark ignition switches or the spark module?

Which parts correspond to my older model? Are there any videos that show me how to do the repairs?

I've added a couple of photos below for reference. I should mention that the burner screws are super-difficult to turn. Any hints on getting them loose? Should I just squirt them with a little WD-40?

Thanks in advance! 

20130818+001_small.jpg

20130818+002_small.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

So if there's no 120v AC between those inputs, then it's the Spark Module?

If there is 120v AC at the inputs, (and no Spark Output)

the Module is probably bad

Got it! Thanks. Will test it tomorrow.