Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermistor Magic!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:The Mrs.' homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Durham, awesome idea. Well done!

Gonna make me some now.

I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I want 4 plus the bonus thermometers.    How much & what about shipping.  :wink:  Gotta have it.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

I want 4 plus the bonus thermometers. How much & what about shipping. :wink: Gotta have it.

I got some great news for you. We now offer free shipping for the following

for all orders of less than one unit or

for any order over 100 units for any resident of Buford Montana

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

What happened to the thermistor magic original.  Its a blank screen

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

What happened to the thermistor magic original.  Its a blank screen

works for me

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Works for me also. you may have to refresh your page. I did change the video after finding a typo. But damn, I missed timed the gong on the second page of the intro with the most recent update. I'll get around to fixing it at some point. Then you may have to refresh or remove cached pages again.

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Works now.   I'll take 10, put on Samurai's account.  :blinky:  Gracious

IgonFishn

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

i mentioned it briefly in the video, but adding salt to the water really gets the temperature down fast. It basically causes the ice to melt faster thus dropping the temp of the surrounding water.

So, I guess I'm gonna add a box of salt to the deluxe set... it shouldn't increase the price by more than 10 or 20 dollars

#10 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

i mentioned it briefly in the video, but adding salt to the water really gets the temperature down fast. It basically causes the ice to melt faster thus dropping the temp of the surrounding water.

So, I guess I'm gonna add a box of salt to the deluxe set... it shouldn't increase the price by more than 10 or 20 dollars

It lowers the slush temperature which would lead to inaccurate results. Solid ice can be any temperature below 32F, and saltwater can also be below 32.

Edited by olyteddy, 07 September 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

It lowers the slush temperature which would lead to inaccurate results. Solid ice can be any temperature below 32F, and saltwater can also be below 32.

Certainly, but slush water (and nobody suggested saltwater) is not an exacting description and can range in temps as well..Also, different parts of the glass will have different temps and can lead to misleading results. That's why I use a thermometer at the water level of the thermistor . Many times the temps hover around 34f and will not drop. A little salt does wonders. Once the temp stabilizes near 32f, test. You can also watch your readings rise and fall as the temp go over and below 32f and when stable compare with the chart. It is very easy to do.

GE also suggests using a little salt in one of their authorized videos. More importantly, don't you know I have a secret lab full of highly trained scientists?

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

... More importantly, don't you know I have a secret lab full of highly trained scientists?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

supplemental Thermistor magic technique.....

1) insert a new or known-to-be-good thermistor directly beside the thermistor to be tested in the ice water slurry. After checking reading at the board , you can now compare the thermistor in question with the good thermistor. If more than a 10 percent difference ( each thermistor has a +- 5 percent tolerance) then change the thermistor.

#14 J5

J5

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

if you are checking freezer thermistors where there is a temp and a defrost sensor then

i stick both of them into the evap and wait , then measure them both and they should be both pretty much the same

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

that can work sometimes, but

1you might not know which or if both are bad.

2) they both may test good at 0f or the evap's current temp but one could fail at the reference temp of 32f

3) evap has different temps at the top, where the evap thermistor is located and at the bottom the only part many freezer thermistors can reach.

4) you need two test points to test the linear accuracy of the thermistor( the initial reading of the thermistor and the reading at a known temp, namely 32f) and with the evap you cannot be sure of it's exact temp to know if you are within +- 5 percent of tolerance.

too many variables to be accurate for situations where you have a fridge with temp fluctuations. It will work at times when you have a thermistor that initially registers bad. You can do the same under those situations by just comparing the thermistor reading against the temp chart but that doesn't test linearity of the thermistor.

Lack of proper accurate testing leads to many threads that say " I'm having problems with my fridge and I already changed the board and tested the thermistors, please help."

The bottom line is, if you are not going to test the thermistors properly as suggested by the manufacturer, you are better off just changing it.

See in depth thermistor discussion http://appliantology...gic#entry283208

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#16 J5

J5

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

some valid points

in the products i am testing i have access to both thermisters and wiring and know which is which as 1 is black and 1 is white

i can test them both at the same places in the evap and also at known other temps

its not the best way if you are getting a thermister ths is intermittent but for initial testing you can see if you have 1 that

is way off what it should be and in a very quick time and fix and out the door

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

I can see how you can test them at the same location on a Samsung or any fridge where you can disconnect the wires... certainly not a Ge. If you can remove the thermistor, why not simply take it out and test it on the counter top?

As for initial testing, I would think it would be easier to test all thermistors at the board to check for any thermistors that are already out of tolerance. This should be one of the first things done after running diagnostics and before accessing the thermistors. You need to know the current state of the fridge.

If you moved the freezer thermistor to the evap before testing it at it's current status, you may find it reads okay at the colder evap but fails at the warmer freezer temp where it was initially located.

You are also only testing the evap thermistor at the current evap temp, not at temps achieved during defrost. If it fails during defrost, which is not uncommon, you would not know.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#18 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Nice

#19 cpez1

cpez1

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Belgians

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Deep Stuff... One thing I'm sure of: a little bit of salt and crushed red pepper makes pizza taste real good :sillytongue: ...to me, anyway.
Thanks for the education guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics