Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool side by side ED5PHAXSB01 eating control boards every 3 years-why?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

We bought the frig from Lowes brand new.  It ate the first control board 3 years ago and we had it replaced under warranty.  We are now a little over 3 years post repair and the same thing is happening:  fridge running all the time, back panel of the fridge is icing so I'm sure the coils are getting blocked, freezer is about 15 degrees by infrared thermometer, fridge section is still cold but I know warming is coming, front frame between the doors is hot to the touch, and the filter light reset itself from red to green.  That last bit was a dead giveaway for me.  That happened last time and the repairman said it was a dead giveaway for a bad control board.

So, is this a common problem?  I remember last time the part was on backorder so I'm assuming this is not uncommon, but you know what they say about assuming anything.  Why does this happen?  I'm quite frustrated.  This is an expensive snack for the fridge to keep enjoying!  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Christy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Similar models have experienced a higher than normal failure rate of the adaptive defrost control board.  Affected serial number range S00600000 - S04599999.

Per the service pointer:  "A component on the ADC control board may be too sensitive to electrical "noise" causing a board failure". 

"Note:  If the above failure occurs and power is interrupted to the refrigerator or a wire harness is disconnected and then reconnected, the control may reset and begin working normally again".

"If all components associated with the failure have been checked and found to be good, order new ADC control and replace".

#3 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

http://www.repaircli...0225581/1872722

http://www.repaircli...2323198/1408375

While the ADC control can cause frost build up in freezer there are other parts too that can cause this to. Very common for defrost thermostat to cause this also.Defrost heater also but very reliable.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Similar models have experienced a higher than normal failure rate of the adaptive defrost control board.  Affected serial number range S00600000 - S04599999.

Per the service pointer:  "A component on the ADC control board may be too sensitive to electrical "noise" causing a board failure". 

"Note:  If the above failure occurs and power is interrupted to the refrigerator or a wire harness is disconnected and then reconnected, the control may reset and begin working normally again".

"If all components associated with the failure have been checked and found to be good, order new ADC control and replace".

Good info, Brother PDuff.  Interesting thing about that board:  the part number called out for the given model number is W10135900

Now compare that board with part number W10366604

Which is functionally identical but is less than a quarter of the price!  

My award-winning play on these is to always use the cheaper board but then lobotomize it by clipping out R15 to disable the ADC routine.  

Indeed, Brother bigbuck.   Since I'm in the freezer to steam defrost the evap coil, I go ahead and replace the defrost thermostat even if it's good because they are cheap and buggy.  

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

We bought the frig from Lowes brand new. It ate the first control board 3 years ago and we had it replaced under warranty. We are now a little over 3 years post repair and the same thing is happening: fridge running all the time, back panel of the fridge is icing so I'm sure the coils are getting blocked, freezer is about 15 degrees by infrared thermometer, fridge section is still cold but I know warming is coming, front frame between the doors is hot to the touch, and the filter light reset itself from red to green. That last bit was a dead giveaway for me. That happened last time and the repairman said it was a dead giveaway for a bad control board.

So, is this a common problem? I remember last time the part was on backorder so I'm assuming this is not uncommon, but you know what they say about assuming anything. Why does this happen? I'm quite frustrated. This is an expensive snack for the fridge to keep enjoying! Any thoughts are appreciated!

Christy

Do you have your fridge plugged into a surge surpressor? If so what is the rating for it?

GFCI is not the same as surge protection.
AFCI is not the same as surge protection
Circuit Breakers are not the same as surge protection.

http://www.amazon.co...00 Joules Surge

#6 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for posting this!  I knew there was something strange going on.  I also found this service pointer yesterday:

https://secured.whir...ILE/8178769.pdf

From the bulletin:

Ice may build up on evaporator over a period of time due to incomplete defrost cycles resulting in warm temperatures.

Eliminate the ADC routine built into the ADC control by cutting out a resistor on the board.

Our model number is listed on this bulletin released in February 2009.

http://www.repaircli...0225581/1872722

http://www.repaircli...2323198/1408375

While the ADC control can cause frost build up in freezer there are other parts too that can cause this to. Very common for defrost thermostat to cause this also.Defrost heater also but very reliable.

We'll make sure to check everything when/if we take the back panel off.  Thanks for the links!

#7 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Good info, Brother PDuff.  Interesting thing about that board:  the part number called out for the given model number is W10135900

Now compare that board with part number W10366604

Which is functionally identical but is less than a quarter of the price!  

My award-winning play on these is to always use the cheaper board but then lobotomize it by clipping out R15 to disable the ADC routine.  

Indeed, Brother bigbuck.   Since I'm in the freezer to steam defrost the evap coil, I go ahead and replace the defrost thermostat even if it's good because they are cheap and buggy.  

So, the cheaper board will work with our refrigerator?  If so, I am a happy camper this morning!  I found a service pointer from Whirlpool that details cutting a resistor to bypass the ADC routine, just like you said.  I wish we had known about this a long time ago.

On a fun side note, we have a Whirlpool hot water heater that is 7 years old.  It has a "smart" function that is supposed to monitor the times when we use hot water and then learn when to heat the water.  This will theoretically save money.  The smart function stopped working within a year or so of purchase.  Luckily we were able to bypass the smart function just by turning the dial on the heater.  If the heater is set to smart, the water is never heated.  I contacted Whirlpool since it's still under warranty, and their fix is to send a new board for us to install, after we test the board.  We still need to do that!  Anyway, we have a history of problems with Whirlpool's adaptive technology.

#8 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Do you have your fridge plugged into a surge surpressor? If so what is the rating for it?

GFCI is not the same as surge protection.
AFCI is not the same as surge protection
Circuit Breakers are not the same as surge protection.

http://www.amazon.co...00 Joules Surge

It is NOT plugged into a surge suppressor.  I'm now thinking it needs to be plugged into a surge suppressor.  Now I feel bad!  Live and learn, right?

#9 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I forgot to mention, we did a few things to the fridge yesterday:

1.  Turned it off and unplugged it.

2.  I pulled a couple of things out of the freezer and made sure there was nothing touching the back panel.

3.  We cleaned the entire underside with compressed air.  We've done this before but didn't realize just how dirty the coils were again.  Nasty.

4.  We removed the cardboard panel at the back of the fridge and carefully cleaned around the compressor and other parts.

The center frame of the fridge has cooled considerably.  It is now barely warm instead of hot.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

So, the cheaper board will work with our refrigerator?  If so, I am a happy camper this morning! 

I'm so sure it'll work that I'll let you return the board for a refund if it doesn't!  

#11 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm so sure it'll work that I'll let you return the board for a refund if it doesn't!  

I ordered the part today!  I have an update:

The warm temps have arrived!  I put our fridge/freezer thermometer in the freezer and it shows about 5 degrees F.  That's fine.  The fridge is around 40-50 degrees F depending on the time of day and how often we open the fridge.  The unit is running almost all the time but the door frame is staying cool/barely warm, not hot like it was before we cleaned the evaporator coils.  This started about 3 days ago.  I tried unplugging and resetting the fridge yesterday and it didn't help.  Now it's time to use up/freeze the perishable items in the fridge and just wait till the part arrives.  Also, the fridge door will be closed most of the time.

Also, I called Whirlpool and the appliance repair shop that did the warranty repair 3 years ago.  They both say NOT to use any kind of surge protector for the fridge.  They said a surge protector could damage the fridge or shut down power during a surge and cause the unit to loose power.  So, what do you guys recommend, really?  I looked on Amazon and they show an RCA brand surge protector made for fridges that doesn't cut off power.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Also, I called Whirlpool and the appliance repair shop that did the warranty repair 3 years ago.  They both say NOT to use any kind of surge protector for the fridge.  They said a surge protector could damage the fridge or shut down power during a surge and cause the unit to loose power.  So, what do you guys recommend, really?  I looked on Amazon and they show an RCA brand surge protector made for fridges that doesn't cut off power.

You (or people you talked to) are confusing a surge suppressor with a GFCI outlet.  All the manufacturers say not to use a GFCI outlet.  

Any surge coming in on the power line that's large enough to activate the surge suppressor is NOT something you want getting into your refrigerator.  These are well-known to fry start relays.  Besides that, surge suppressors don't work by cutting power to the appliance, like a GFCI does.  Instead, surge suppressors clip the voltage spikes.  And they do it so fast that power is never interrupted.  

There's no way a surge suppressor could damage the refrigerator by simply cutting power to it.  When a surge suppressor does fail, it simply stops clipping spikes but even then, it never interrupts power.   

If surge suppressors were really a danger for cutting power to the connected equipment, why in the world are they standard equipment for computers where sudden power loss really can damage the equipment and result in loss of work?  

You got bad information.  Don't know who you talked to at "Whirlpool" on a Sunday it was definitely not their A-team.  Probably some poor schlump working at customer service who was only half listening to you because he'd rather be pulling hair out of drains or something, anything but work customer service, especially on a Sunday.  And he/she was definitely was not a tech.  

And if one of the "techs" from the other service company told you to never use a surge suppressor, he just failed the dummy test and is a certified Parts Changing Monkey.   

#13 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

You (or people you talked to) are confusing a surge suppressor with a GFCI outlet.  All the manufacturers say not to use a GFCI outlet.  

Any surge coming in on the power line that's large enough to activate the surge suppressor is NOT something you want getting into your refrigerator.  These are well-known to fry start relays.  Besides that, surge suppressors don't work by cutting power to the appliance, like a GFCI does.  Instead, surge suppressors clip the voltage spikes.  And they do it so fast that power is never interrupted.  

There's no way a surge suppressor could damage the refrigerator by simply cutting power to it.  When a surge suppressor does fail, it simply stops clipping spikes but even then, it never interrupts power.   

If surge suppressors were really a danger for cutting power to the connected equipment, why in the world are they standard equipment for computers where sudden power loss really can damage the equipment and result in loss of work?  

You got bad information.  Don't know who you talked to at "Whirlpool" on a Sunday it was definitely not their A-team.  Probably some poor schlump working at customer service who was only half listening to you because he'd rather be pulling hair out of drains or something, anything but work customer service, especially on a Sunday.  And he/she was definitely was not a tech.  

And if one of the "techs" from the other service company told you to never use a surge suppressor, he just failed the dummy test and is a certified Parts Changing Monkey.   

I talked to the Whirlpool person during the middle of last week.  She wasn't a tech and just read the info off of a company approved script.  I wondered about the service company tech's advice, as well.  That's why I came here to get the real story.  Thanks for the information!  I ordered a single socket surge protector with filtering capability.  It should be here today and the board should arrive tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, the freaky fridge is now at a chilly 30 degrees and has been since late Monday!  I unplugged it on Sunday to reset the unit hoping it would reset and get me through until the part arrived.  It took about 24 hours, but it worked.  Now, it's just a waiting game.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

... I talked to the Whirlpool person ... read the info off of a company approved script.

They sell replacement parts and new Fridges, don't they ? :whistling:

Is that document posted on-line anywhere ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#15 checkerkitty

checkerkitty

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't know if it's online, but they might send me a copy by email.  Do you want me to call back and see if I can get a copy of what she told me?

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

sure,

they should have it on-line, something similar

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#17 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

That's what I tell my clients re water filters and detergent usage.  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics