Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

500 series SubZero Fridge leaking water all over the place

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jrork

jrork

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi Folks.   Well, I’m back again and this time fighting our 1995 SubZero 500 series side by side fridge.   

Here’s what it’s doing now and shame on me for no putting two and two together earlier.   

The icemaker quit making Ice but in this case, it wasn’t that it didn’t want too but because it was dry.  No water in the tray.

The confusing thing was that every so often I thought I heard the valve open as the ice maker called for ice yet when I check, nope, no water in the tray.

This particular model has all the equipment on the top so I climbed up half expecting that I had lost of line from the valve and everything would be wet.  Instead, everything was dry.

I checked the line all the way to where it drops thru the top of the fridge to what I can only assume leads to the dump line into the icemaker tray.  All was dry.

Well, long story short this weekend my wife came and got me out in the shop and showed me where water was running out on the floor and she said she could “hear the water spray” on the left side of the fridge.   

So, given all of this, does anybody have an idea of where this line could have broke?   It looks good from the solenoid valve to the fitting on the top of the fridge where it enters the freezer compartment. 

Thanks so much for the help…………john

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 danoam

danoam

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'm guessing you have a 590 (dispenser model). The plastic line that runs from the solenoid valve time the fill tube has a tendency to harden and crack, especially if condenser coils are neglected and it gets too hot up there. Replace the line with a new piece of 1/4 inch plastic and you should be good to go. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Concur with Brother danoam if it's the 590.  If it's another 500 series check the aluminum fill tube behind the icemaker for ice blockage.  Some models have a fill tube heater around the fill tube to prevent this but it can still occur.  When the fill tube gets blocked, the icemaker water line can come loose from the elbow that goes through the rear wall of the freezer and attaches to the fill tube.  The icemaker cycles, energizes the valve, and water runs down the rear of the cabinet and onto the floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics