Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Repair Before or After a Move

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xn137

Xn137

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

We have an older washer and dryer stored in our basement. I know for a fact that the dryer needs repairing. The washer may as well. My son is moving into a new apartment that has washer/dryer hookups and we would like to let him have these machines rather than buy new ones. My question is: Can a washer and dryer be repaired or serviced without being "hooked up" or do we need to move them to the new apartment before we can have them repaired (or even know if they are worth repairing)?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Testing while being able to connect them is definitely better.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

After the move, mainly because of any warranty issues. Needs to be hooked up. If you want to save some dough you can always bring it to a place that does inshop service.

With that in mind, about 50% of dryer repairs are caused by clogged dryer venting.

http://i1316.photobu...zpsc5dd0c8a.jpg

http://i1316.photobu...zps8cdbf2ea.jpg

Small story, just today we replaced a thermo fuse that worked in the way it was designed. Explained to the customer that it was an air flow issue caused by the dryer vent needing cleaned. We cleaned it for her, afterwards she asked how she could prevent the thermo fuse from blowing... By cleanin the vents regularly. This is less than a year of build up according to them.

#4 Xn137

Xn137

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for your help. I'm not worried about any warranties. These are both older machines that we replaced last year. They have been sitting in our basement for the past year. I held onto them anticipating that my son might want them when he moved "off campus" this year. The dryer stopped heating which is why we replaced it when we moved into a new home last summer. The washer had started leaving a small amount of water on the floor after a wash cycle. If they are easy repairs we would have it done and give them to my son and his roommates. If not, we'll probably just have them hauled away. I'm just trying to save my son some money. I didn't want to take the time and effort of moving them though if it would be too costly to fix them. I just wondered if it was even possible to fix them if they aren't hooked up to a vent or water. Any ideas as well as to what may be wrong with them and how much it might cost to get them fixed? Just a ballpark idea would be very helpful.

#5 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Dryer bit heating may be able to figure out without being plugged in. But it would be much much much easier/cheaper/less labor to have it hooked up.

The washer, you need hooked up to find the leak... Also, how is the repair person to know if he fixes the problem if he can't test it? Which comes back to the repair warenty...

Say he changes a part and that part fails within a few days, are you willing to pay full price again to fix it again Or would you rather have the same guy come back out and repair it at his cost? That's the difference between moving it before and after the fix. If you really really want to save money, being it to a place that services machines in shop. Not worth fixing? They usually will keep it... Win win.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

... how is the repair person to know if he fixes the problem if he can't test it?.

also, how is the repairman to know what's really wrong with the appliance ?

(if anything / maybe nothing)

i.e. symptoms / word of mouth from user to spouse sometimes gets befuddled

i.e. is there also something wrong that is actually causing the symptoms

i.e. he repairs it, but something else happens during the move

(no shipping bolts, etc)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Xn137

Xn137

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Good points. Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics