Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher 665-16765691 Leaks Under Door

Kenmore Dishwash 665-16765691 Leak

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SnorkleZ

SnorkleZ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

This Kenmore 665-16765691 Ultra Wash dishwasher leaks erratically.  At first small leaks, but much more today.  Loading doesn't matter - leaks even when run empty (I've included a photo of the water level during a leak).

I've replaced the door seal (thought for sure that would fix it!).  No change.  I was suspecting the float switch of making it over fill, but as I saw today the water fills up to touch the bottom of the heater element, which I think is the right height.  This dishwasher has worked perfectly for a decade, so the installation and leveling should be ok.

I guess the next step is to take off the door and see if anything looks wrong at the bottom?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached File  IMG_0381.jpg   96.56KB   0 downloads Hmm. This seems to make my posted image a small thumbnail :-(

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Is the the tub where the door seal meets bowed outwards?

How clean is the door and seal area? Clean, lots of elbow grease,
and dry, the outside of the plastic liner in the door, where the seal meets the door. Should look almost new again in color.

Take the bottom cover off! Get eyes down there with lot and lots of light. Is there dust? What about evidence of the leak? Where? Where not? All leaks are visible.

Post a video, YouTube style, to help further our diagnoses.
Also, clicking on your toenail enlarges the picture.

#3 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

http://www.repaircli.../3371710/523684

If this vent cover is plug up with gunk it will leak.With the door open like you were going to put dishes in dishwasher it is on the left side with door down.You can pop it out with a screw driver and clean it out in sink and pop it back in.This a very common problem causing leaks on this style dishwasher.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Two other very common things to cause a leak in these models is the plastic bearing ring/seal under the lower washarm being worn out letting too much water out under the arm and causing waves of water to rush under the door dam area.  Also the eight screws that hold the washarm support/pump top cover on can get loose and let the gasket come loose and water will again come out the wrong area and cause wave of water to rush under door area and out onto floor.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 SnorkleZ

SnorkleZ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

:yes:  Tentatively FIXED!

Thanks to all of you for your help!  The key was to clean out the plugged vent.  I didn't know that it existed, much less that it

could and should be cleaned periodically.  I popped that cover off and it was GROSS in there - years of sludge.  It looked about 80% blocked.  I never would have guessed that improper air-flow would cause it to splash over the bottom dam.

I was lucky to find a helpful community of dedicated Appliantologists.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics