Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE side/side not dispensing ice/ making noise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:plum wine

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi, I have a GE side by side model GSH25KGREbb that stopped dispensing ice a few days ago. Today it started making a clicking noise that sounds like it was coming from the back. However I opened the freezer door and the fan looked like it was having trouble turning. I have read a few post in this forum that suggest it could be the mother board and that there was a service bulletin that GE would repair it for free. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that is still in effect and if my model is part of the recall.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

The clicking sound could either be from the board or from the relay. Based upon what you are saying, I suspect it is from the board. If you pull the fridge you probably can isolate the sound to see if it is coming from inside the computer cover.  My suspicions that it is the board arise because of the issue with your fan and dispenser.  The board can affect both. But are you certain it is the dispenser or the icemaker? If it is not making ice, I would suggest you check your freezer temps as soon as possible. Above 11 f would cause your ice maker not to work. Furthermore, if your evap fan is sluggish, it may have damaged your board. You may have to replace fan motor and board.

It doesn't appear your model is covered under the concession letter.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thank you for responding. The freezer is cold and the ice maker is working. The clicking noise stopped but the water and ice dispenser still is not working.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Dispenser can be affected by a failing board. Is you fan still sluggish? You may want to check it while pushing in the door switch.

#5 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

No, the fan seems to be OK now. The dispenser light would dim when pressing for ice or water but now the light doesn't even work.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Okay, so if the clicking was your start relay starting the compressor, and the fan issue wasn't really an issue, you could have a problem with the dispenser board. I would check the connections to the dispenser board and rule that out before considering the mainboard.

#7 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thank you for your help, I guess I should just call a repair man. I was hopping it would fall under the recall or it would be something simple I could do myself but I have no idea how to get to the dispenser connections.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

Okay, so if the clicking was your start relay starting the compressor, 

What makes you suspect the start relay, Brother Durham?  I know the relays can do the hum-click cha-cha but that would also be accompanied by the compartments warming up.   

I think you right at the outset:  bad muthaboard.  I've seen where they'll click sometimes and be quiet other times.  

Samurette, I'd go ahead and replace the muthaboard.  On the off-chance that doesn't fix it, you can return it for a refund.  

Muthaboard:  http://www.repaircli...ber=GSH25KGREBB

Main-Control-Board-WR55X10942-01091474.j

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

[quote name="Samurai Appliance Repair Man" post="265336" timestamp="1376998351"]What makes you suspect the start relay, Brother Durham? I know the relays can do the hum-click cha-cha but that would also be accompanied by the compartments warming up.

/quote]

Covering all bases and making sure her description is accurate because if so, she may need both a fan motor and a board. Before replace both of those, it's best to be as close to certain as you can. GE fridges have been known to pull a head fake.

That's why I asked about the relay. If the compressor is not starting up (many times people have ignored the normal clicks until they have a problem.
Then they say "I hear clicking" although the clicks are infrequent ) it would cause the warming. Warming would cause ice maker not to work (she was accurate in that description but many people confuse icemaker problems with dispenser).. The evap fan is variable speed and affected by door switch and can make it sound like it is hard to start. I definitely suspect the mainboard since it has an affect on all her symptoms but just careful of the headfake.

But the fact she can get a board, (and probably a needed fan motor). at no risk eliminates the guessing.

#10 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks guys, I decided to call GE repair this morning. I wanted to try and fix it myself but that clicking noise worried me. I live in Florida and have a lot of steaks in the freezer, I would hate to lose them.  One more Question if I might ask? The ice maker never shuts itself off and never has. I have to watch it and when it gets full I have to manually shut it off. Has there ever been a recall on that?

#11 Samurette

Samurette

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

It was the mother board, ouch...$347.00...I watched him, took him about 2 min. I believe I could have easily done it myself. Sad face, I shouldn't have been in such a hurry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics