Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer: Coupler or Tranny?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 clevy328

clevy328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

I have the coupler off, it doesn't really look that bad, but everything indicates that this is the problem. The machine won't spin, but the motor hits when in the spin cycle.

How do I know for sure that it isn't the transmission that has gone bad? I would hate to buy the coupler only to find out that it was fine. So how can you tell if the coupler is the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

clevy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

IF the coupler was the problem, it would be visibly bad. You can also use a mirror and watch the coupler turn during spin as a visual check. So, if the motor and couple are turning during the spin cycle but the transmission ain't, then you could have a bad clutch, bad drive block, or bad drive cam. Some good discussion of this problem in this thread at the old forum.

#3 clevy328

clevy328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

See, I'm not really sure what is considered bad with this part. I haven't ever messed with a direct drive washer before. All the others that I have worked on were belt driven.

The rubber center gasket has some of the holes that are bigger than the others. Were they supposed to be that way? I would almost say that a couple of the openings looked stretched. None of them have busted completely open, but they do appear thin and worn on the outer edge of the openings.

This machine had worked great right up till yesterday when it quit spinning. Now when you put it on the spin cycle you can hear the motor trying to do the job, but it just won't move. It had been quite dependable and quiet when it ran. All the spin cycles and everyting had worked great on it up until this happened. If the transmission or the clutch had decided to go out wouldn't there have been more advance warning? i.e.-- funky sounds or acting oddly?

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

Hello, my unsure friend.  Perhaps the photograph below will assist you in your evaluation of the coupler:
Posted Image
I recommend that you remove the coupler to inspect it thoroughly.  To do so, you must remove the cabinet, pump, and motor.  Fear not, my leetle infidel, for Allah has ensureed that this washer is very easy to service.  This picture displays the child-like simplicity in disassembling this washer.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 clevy328

clevy328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

Let's try it in an attachment!:P

Attached Files

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hey, Cleves, your pic didn't come through.  You can edit your post and change the link so it does.

#7 clevy328

clevy328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

I hope attaching that works. I do have to say that your directions on how to get to it were right on target and easy to follow. Of course, some of it I already new, but it is nice to have an easy to follow guide that agrees with what I'm attempting to do!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

Good job editing, your attached picture loads beautifully... except that is one UUgly coupler! It's a goner. The only remaining question is whether or not that's the root cause of your no-spin problem. That depends on clarifying your original problem description:

[user=50]clevy328[/user] wrote:

The machine won't spin, but the motor hits when in the spin cycle

My question here is, what do you mean by the motor "hits?" Is it trying to start but binds? If so, then this could easily be caused by a wallowed out coupler binding the motor. Seen that lots of times.

#9 clevy328

clevy328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

My question here is, what do you mean by the motor "hits?" Is it trying to start but binds? If so, then this could easily be caused by a wallowed out coupler binding the motor. Seen that lots of times.

Yeah, it tries to start but acts like it's all bound up! I guess that would mean that you have led me to the correct part. So now I just have to order it!

I really appreciate the help with this! You'll be getting referrels from me on how informitive your site is with all my friends! Believe me we have a lot of do-it-yourselfers here in the mid-west. Most of the guys I run with don't like to have to call for a repairman. That means we have to admit to our missus that we aren't as smart as we pretend to be and that is against the rules!:D

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

Here's what a new coupler looks like:

Posted Image

You can order it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics