Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Blue Star Range Thermal Valve Not Working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Firestone DBA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hello all, this website is awesome for people like me that want to fix my own appliances, thanks!

Now for my question, I own a Blue Star 30" gas range (model # RCS304BSS) that the oven burner and igniter doesn't turn on. I was cooking last week and all of sudden the oven just turned off, no gas and no glow on the igniter. The thermostat clicks on and off and the infrared broiler works just fine, but when I set the oven to anything below 500 degrees nothing. I tested the igniter and it has continuity, so I don't think the igniter is bad. The oven has a dual thermal valve, one for the oven and one for the broiler. The broiler electrical leads tested ok, but not for the oven. So I ordered a new thermal valve from Blue Star, installed it and turned on the oven. The igniter started to glow, gas turned on and bam nothing stopped working again. It didn't get a chance to light the burner, all's I got was a good whiff of gas. So here I am wondering if the thermostat is bad. This oven is 3 years old so looking to see what I might try next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Aaron

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Most likely you have a weak igniter. They can check good but still be bad and not get hot enough to ignite gas.

Test

#3 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Kohai,

It seems that the thermal valve has shorted out. Would a bad igniter do that? or if I put in a good igniter, will that make the valve work again?

#4 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

I switched the broiler igniter to the oven and still nothing. I also tested the continuity from the orange wire that connects to the thermal valve to the oven frame and it shows that there is a short some where. So Im not convinced its the igniter.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

do you have a wiring diagram that you could scan & upload somewhere ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hey Reg,

No, I've been looking for one though. Seems kinda hard to find any info for Blue Star ranges.

#7 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

I found the short. Looks like the orange and white wire with a black insulating sleeve that connects to the igniter with the thermal valve got smashed somehow. I dont see any damage on the side of the oven, so I dont know how it happened.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hey Reg,

No, I've been looking for one though. Seems kinda hard to find any info for Blue Star ranges.

I wasn't able to find anything on these either.

Valve can be tested though.

http://fixitnow.com/...d-safety-valve/

Edited by tpoindexter, 22 August 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Test

#9 aaronDIY

aaronDIY

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

thanks dexter,

Yea those videos are cool, very informative. I tested my valve and I dont have continuity. So now being as my range is out of warranty its costing me two thermal valves at 125 bucks a piece and some wire. I was looking to see if the Repair Clinic has Blue Star replacement parts, but no luck either.

Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances or can I get the wire at my local Homedepot?

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

... I was looking to see if the Repair Clinic has Blue Star replacement parts, but no luck either.
... Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances

do you have a part number ?
 if it's inside the Oven

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances or can I get the wire at my local Homedepot?

Oven wiring is heat resistant. If you look at the wiring insulation it has letters and numbers identifying heat and amperage ratings. You should be able to get the wiring you need at Lowes. Lowes like to hire plumbers and electricians to manage those 2 departments to work with tradesmen coming in to make purchases. They should be able to get you what you need.

Test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics