Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
aaronDIY

Blue Star Range Thermal Valve Not Working

11 posts in this topic

Hello all, this website is awesome for people like me that want to fix my own appliances, thanks!

Now for my question, I own a Blue Star 30" gas range (model # RCS304BSS) that the oven burner and igniter doesn't turn on. I was cooking last week and all of sudden the oven just turned off, no gas and no glow on the igniter. The thermostat clicks on and off and the infrared broiler works just fine, but when I set the oven to anything below 500 degrees nothing. I tested the igniter and it has continuity, so I don't think the igniter is bad. The oven has a dual thermal valve, one for the oven and one for the broiler. The broiler electrical leads tested ok, but not for the oven. So I ordered a new thermal valve from Blue Star, installed it and turned on the oven. The igniter started to glow, gas turned on and bam nothing stopped working again. It didn't get a chance to light the burner, all's I got was a good whiff of gas. So here I am wondering if the thermostat is bad. This oven is 3 years old so looking to see what I might try next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Aaron

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Most likely you have a weak igniter. They can check good but still be bad and not get hot enough to ignite gas.

Thanks for the reply Kohai,

It seems that the thermal valve has shorted out. Would a bad igniter do that? or if I put in a good igniter, will that make the valve work again?

I switched the broiler igniter to the oven and still nothing. I also tested the continuity from the orange wire that connects to the thermal valve to the oven frame and it shows that there is a short some where. So Im not convinced its the igniter.

do you have a wiring diagram that you could scan & upload somewhere ?

Hey Reg,

No, I've been looking for one though. Seems kinda hard to find any info for Blue Star ranges.

I found the short. Looks like the orange and white wire with a black insulating sleeve that connects to the igniter with the thermal valve got smashed somehow. I dont see any damage on the side of the oven, so I dont know how it happened.

thanks dexter,

Yea those videos are cool, very informative. I tested my valve and I dont have continuity. So now being as my range is out of warranty its costing me two thermal valves at 125 bucks a piece and some wire. I was looking to see if the Repair Clinic has Blue Star replacement parts, but no luck either.

Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances or can I get the wire at my local Homedepot?

... I was looking to see if the Repair Clinic has Blue Star replacement parts, but no luck either.

... Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances

do you have a part number ?

if it's inside the Oven

Would you know if the wire used in ovens is rated for hot appliances or can I get the wire at my local Homedepot?

Oven wiring is heat resistant. If you look at the wiring insulation it has letters and numbers identifying heat and amperage ratings. You should be able to get the wiring you need at Lowes. Lowes like to hire plumbers and electricians to manage those 2 departments to work with tradesmen coming in to make purchases. They should be able to get you what you need.