Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDI01ILBS6 won't start

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

This dishwasher does not get used everyday.  I think it averages being used perhaps twice a week, three times at the most.  It is about five years old.  We always use "normal" and "energy saver dry" and then push start.   When it was new, it would start right away.

Now, when we press start, it does not start and the two green lights go out after about 30 seconds.  The force drain cycle (pushing cancel) does work and two days ago after that cycle, we repressed normal and energy saver dry and the start and it started.  This morning ... nothing... no start.  

Doing a Google on this model number yields countless hits of other owners having the same problem verifying what I already know:  KITCHENAID is JUNK.  

I am hesitant to spend over a $100 for a new control panel before asking repair people on this list for some input.  The float on the front right corner seems to be free.  The water jet wheel turns easily.  The pump drain cycle works.  The lights above "normal" and "energy saver dry" come on as soon as those buttons are touched, but start does not start the machine.  

I welcome any seasoned input.

Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Actually, your model Kitchenaid is better than the newer units with the Global Wash System.  Since your Cancel button works then the latch assy is most likely ok.  That leaves the touch control panel P/N 8531816.  In my opinion it's worth the repair.

To check the operation of all of the other components, you should still be able to run a diagnostic test cycle.  This test will also reset the main control.  With the door closed, press High Temp Wash/Air Dry/High Temp Wash/Air Dry.  The dishwasher will run a 5 minutes test cycle which will energize every component; inlet valve, dispenser, wash motor, heater, and drain pump.  Allow the unit to complete the test and then check the control operation.  Replace if necessary.

#3 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Kitchen aid dishwashers are actually very good units. Worth the repair.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Actually, your model Kitchenaid is better than the newer units with the Global Wash System.  Since your Cancel button works then the latch assy is most likely ok.  That leaves the touch control panel P/N 8531816.  In my opinion it's worth the repair.

Touchpad and control panel:  http://www.repaircli...8531816/1060483

#5 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hello, 

You said "With the door closed, press High Temp Wash/Air Dry/High Temp Wash/Air Dry." 

My dishwasher buttons are:

CYCLE                                       OPTIONS                                          

Heavy  /  Normal  /  Rinse             Heavy Scrub  /  Energy Saver Dry         START        CANCEL

So ... what do I press now ?  Those buttons are not on my unit.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

CYCLE                                       OPTIONS                                          

Heavy  /  Normal  /  Rinse             Heavy Scrub  /  Energy Saver Dry         START        CANCEL

So ... what do I press now ?  Those buttons are not on my unit.

According to the photo of your touchpad, you do not have "Heavy Scrub"; it looks like "Heated Dry".  

"Air Dry" is the same as "Energy Saver Dry"

#7 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Okay, thank you.  Well I tried pressing "High Temp Scrub" and then "Energy Saver Dry" in sequence and repeated it once (4 presses) but nothing happens.  Can you tell me if a bad panel can also keep this diagnostic cycle from running?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Can you tell me if a bad panel can also keep this diagnostic cycle from running?

Certainly-- if the touchpanel is not talking to the key sequence to the control board you will see exactly what you saw:  nothing happening.  

Replace the touchpanel:  http://www.repaircli...8531816/1060483

#9 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Got it.  Thank you!  I will order the part and let everyone know the result.  I appreciate the input and the time you folks took to respond.  

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

PROBLEM: WASHES FOR <30 SECONDS AND THEN SHUTS OFF
Unit may be in Sales Demo mode.
Press the following key sequence in less than 3 seconds to turn Demo mode OFF (or ON):

High Temp Energy Saver Dry Energy Saver Dry High Temp Energy Saver Dry Energy Saver Dry

NOTE: Diagnostics will also clear Demo.

DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE SERVICE FEATURE

Press the following keys in the sequence shown,

while the dishwasher is inactive.

High Temp Energy Saver Dry High Temp Energy Saver Dry

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thank you.  I tried the HT => ES => ES => HT => ES => ES  and did it twice but nothing.  I also tried the HT => ES => HT => ES again.  When the new panel comes in, I will try these then.  Hopefully I won't scramble the new logic :-) ...

#12 w5jv

w5jv

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

The new panel came in and the diagnostic HT => ES => HT => ES worked okay.  It will be another day before we have enough dishes to wash but it sure looks like the unit is responding.  Question:  does this removed panel have any value to anyone or should I just toss it in the recycle bin ??

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Toss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics