Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirstytech

Kitchenaid KSRS25ILSS02 Intermittent no cool

7 posts in this topic

I went out on this a few days a go.  It would stop cooling on it's own and then mysteriously fire up on its own and begin cooling again.

It was cooling as advertised when I was there.  

I pulled off the compressor start relay and the contacts literally fell out, it sounded like a maraca.  I replaced the relay and went on my way.  

3 days later customer calls and says its doing the same intermittent no cool, but now she notices that the display in the refer compartment is out - nothing illuminated.  It will still fire up on its own and run for awhile. 

My first thought is control board 8201658 - anybody run into one of these?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Intermittent cooling usually means timer, cold control, main board or user interface. On this model, I believe all those things are wrapped up in one. But, of course, you want to test/replace any thermistor that is responsible for cooling.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice and information.  I'll post once I've been able to return and investigate further.

If the interface control is functional you could test the thermistors using the diagnostic component test routine.  If interface is not functional, replace control board.

1 person likes this

If the interface control is functional you could test the thermistors using the diagnostic component test routine.  If interface is not functional, replace control board.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the interface and the control board are one in the same on this model.

Just talked to the customer and its been operating as advertised for the last 24 hours.

1 person likes this

Installed new control this morning - it was able to complete diagnostic routine and everything checked out fine.  Previously (with old board installed) it would not go through diagnostics.

These intermittent no-cools are becoming an everyday thing on whirlpool products it seems.

Thanks to all for the tech support and words of wisdom :thanks:  

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0