Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sears decision to move away from whirlpool backfires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,959 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

From the WSJ 8/23/13

"Sears Holdings Corp. SHLD -0.30%built its Kenmore brand into the dominant force in U.S. major appliances over the better part of a century. It only took a few years of tinkering by hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert to take it apart..... "

Since the wsj is now requiring a password for the original article, here is a related story from the WSJ's CFO section

Sears finished its latest quarter with its lowest share of U.S. major appliance sales in a decade, contributing to a wider fiscal second-quarter loss at the retailer, the WSJ reports. Nearly every other manufacturer and retailer is benefiting as the recovery in the housing market spurs sales of dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerators.

The damage at Sears has a number of causes, former executives and employees say. Sears disrupted a key relationship with Whirlpool that had underpinned the business for decades. Key management positions turned over frequently. Decaying stores that repel customers hurt appliance departments as well. Executives focused on technological gimmicks like giving sales associates iPads that proved more frustrating than useful. Meanwhile, competitors were building up their appliance businesses.

from http://blogs.wsj.com...e-feds-toolbox/

All I can say is duh! What on earth was sears thinking?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well maybe I can answer my own question.... this just came in....

August 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A federal appeals court has upheld a class-action lawsuit involving washing machines sold by Sears.The ruling clears the way for consumers in six states to pursue their claims together against Sears.Their lawsuit alleges that Sears sold defective Kenmore washing machines.They claim faulty computer controls allowed mold to build up inside the front-loading washers, causing a bad odor.The federal appeals court in Chicago issued the latest ruling after being asked to reconsider the issue by the U.S. Supreme Court.(Copyright ©2013 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights

Maybe Sears is pissed at wp for having stupid mold issues as discussed in the moldy door thread

#3 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Maybe its Karma catching up with them. The fish stinks from the head all the way to the tail.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

That's not it.

LG and Samsung can manufacture appliances for Sears cheaper than Whirlpool can. With Sears, money is always the issue.

Scott Wolf

#5 montrue

montrue

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coorslite

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

From the WSJ 8/23/13

"Sears Holdings Corp. SHLD -0.30%built its Kenmore brand into the dominant force in U.S. major appliances over the better part of a century. It only took a few years of tinkering by hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert to take it apart..... "

Since the wsj is now requiring a password for the original article, here is a related story from the WSJ's CFO section

Sears finished its latest quarter with its lowest share of U.S. major appliance sales in a decade, contributing to a wider fiscal second-quarter loss at the retailer, the WSJ reports. Nearly every other manufacturer and retailer is benefiting as the recovery in the housing market spurs sales of dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerators.

The damage at Sears has a number of causes, former executives and employees say. Sears disrupted a key relationship with Whirlpool that had underpinned the business for decades. Key management positions turned over frequently. Decaying stores that repel customers hurt appliance departments as well. Executives focused on technological gimmicks like giving sales associates iPads that proved more frustrating than useful. Meanwhile, competitors were building up their appliance businesses.

from http://blogs.wsj.com...e-feds-toolbox/

All I can say is duh! What on earth was sears thinking?

lifes good but whirlpool better!!!!

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sadness.  :wc:

Consumer Reports in the '90's consistently rated the Whirlpool and Kenmore washers at the top of the list for serviceability and reliability.  Sometimes the Kenmore would beat out Whirlpool for the number one spot because it had maybe an extra option or cycle, even though they're the same machine.

Just for the heck of it, I checked Consumer Reports present ranking of both top load and front load washers:

Front Load Washers                                                   Top Load Washers

Kenmore  A+                                                               Samsung  A+

Samsung A                                                                  LG  A

Maytag  A                                                                    Maytag  B+

Electrolux  A                                                                Whirlpool  B+

Whirlpool  B+                                                               Kenmore  B

LG  B+                                                                         GE  B-

#7 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

The problem sears has isn't the fact that it's not selling as much whirlpool as they used to, the issue is lowes.

Lowes leveled their guns about 8 years a go at the two successful business operations sears had : major appliances and craftsman tools

Now lowes has passed them by in appliance sales and kobalt tools aren't doing too shabby either (yes I know there not made in the USA)

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

the article states it is a combination of factors including competition. However competition is not within Sears' control. Stupid decision making is.

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

This is great. Whirlpool has been putting out some crappy refrigerators here lately. Before I left I was running at least 5-6 sealed system problems in a week on newer whirlpool refrigerators. The quality is a real issue because sealed systems take time and warranty work from whirlpool doesn't pay well. Sears as a whole is chocked full of bad decisions. At some point, I can see their stores going away, but their repair service staying around. The repair side was always profitable, and it's probably what is keeping them afloat. Which is why those morons were constantly hounding us about selling protection agreements this past year. Their problem is they got greedy and lost sight of taking care of their customers. In my opinion that is what has hury Sears the most. I've met some very diehard Sears fans who have paid for 20+ years on protection agreements, but Sears will screw them and that trust is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics