Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need help cleaning Kenmore Dishwasher.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hanly2

hanly2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Arrogant Bastard Ale

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have a kenmore elite dishwasher it has a stainless steel tub and one of those removable filters in the bottom that you have to clean out.  Well the bottom of my dishwasher under that screen is moldy and so is the removable filter.  My dishes come out looking cloudy and like crap.  It says not to use bleach on a stainless dishwasher so how can I get rid of all this mold?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

You need to pick up some Lemishine at Walmart. It located with the rest of the dishwasher detergent.

pour some vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher, on the screens, and let it set overnight.

The next morning run your hot water in your sink until it gets HOT. Fill you dispenser with lemishine.

Start your dishwasher on a normal cycle with high temp wash if  you have that option, and let it complete cycle.

That evening wash dishes as you normally would except use the lemishine in place of you normal detergent.

Keep using the lemishine each time you wash dishes until it's is all gone.

You can now  go back to using your normal detergent.

As maintenance peridically  use a bottle of lemishine as needed.

Test

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

you also add some baking soda to the vinegar.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

thanks Durham. I didn't know that!

Test

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thank my wife.. She buys vinegar by the gallons and baking soda by the bagful from Sams Club. She uses that stuff on everything...mold, mildew, collards, heck I think she tried to put some on me the other day after I pulled a back muscle. But bad back and all, I was too fast for her.. uh oh... here she comes with another homemade concoction...gotta go...... " back, woman!! "

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

She reminds me of Doc Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Test

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

She reminds me of Doc Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Exactly! but if she happens by this thread, well let's just say we both will be considered dead men posting.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well now, wait just a minute! I personally saw in ole granny to a touch of brilliance! And obviously she was borderline genius!

Test

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, right. I don't care how ya cut it.. telling a woman she reminds you of Granny (or agree like i did) will never turn out well. Not in the least bit. To them, it is how it "sounds." Years ago I told my then fiance what most men consider a great compliment. I told her she was "low maintenance." You know, as opposed to high maintenance. She didn't take it very well and the more I tried to explain, the deeper I got. So Tpoin, I know exactly what you mean, but I ain't gonna try to explain it to her ' cause like Granny, she has a kitchen full of cast iron pots and pans. Damn.. compared them again.! I better go rehearse... "see baby, i didn't say you looked or acted like granny, just that you have similar very large and very hard pots and pans" then smile and lovingly bat my eyes at her.... yep think that might just work. btw if you guys don't see me online for a bit... then it didn't work

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#10 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think I still have a chance, but frankly, your bout shit outta luck! You should start editing!!

Test

#11 hanly2

hanly2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hey Guys I have tried all the things listed, I used a ton of lemishine and baking soda and vinegar.  I can't get it clean. Also now when my dishwasher drains I get this horrid smell from the sink, it's terrible.  I am about ready to go buy a new dishwasher.

This is what it looks like in there

20131002_153318.jpg

#12 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Are you running the hot water at the sink before you start the dishwasher?  Using heated wash cycles?

#13 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just looking at all the gunk I'd say you need to check all your spray arms and make sure they aren't stopped up.

But,,, your problem seems be be a little more than just that. Here's what I'd do.

1) make sure all the spray arms are clear and not stopped up.

2) Place a cup upright in the top basket in 1 of the back corners, and run the dishwasher for 60 seconds after it starts the wash cycle.

After 60 seconds stop it and see if the cup is full.

If the cup isn't full, and the dishwasher has water in it. You may have a problem with the wash motor.

3)

Are you running the hot water at the sink before you start the dishwasher?  Using heated wash cycles?

Micabay is right you need to run your sink and get the water hot each time before you was dishes.

4)Are you sure it's draining at the end of the cycle? Do you see a strong flow of water(look at the water flow coming into the disposal) when it's draining?

If your water flow isn't a good flow then you need to clean the gran line from dishwasher to disposal.

Get back to us with what you find and we can go from there.

Edited by tpoindexter, 11 November 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Test

#14 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Also check that your drain loop is IAW the Installation Instructions, could be back flow of cold dirty water from the sink, especially if it is connected to a disposal.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Make sure you're not making one of the Big Three Deadly Dishwasher Mistakes (BTDDM):  http://appliantology...asher-mistakes/

#16 hanly2

hanly2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

No deadly mistakes for me, I checked the list.  But here is what I did, I scrubbed the dishwasher from top to bottom and took out the plastic parts and all that stuff and scrubbed it with bleach. Then I put it all back together and we started using some dissolving cascade packets and WOW the dishes are clean again.  But after only about a month or 2. I took out the filter (i have one of those ones that spins out in the bottom of the tub) It has little spots of mold growing on it again?  Now I have checked the dishwasher after a load and found about 1/2" 1" of water sitting in the very bottom down under the filter. When I press the drain button it does pump most of it out except maybe a 1/4". But I mean just the water dripping off the dishes would leave this much water so how would this be avoided and is this the problem or is it normal?

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

dissolving cascade packets

Inferior product.  Run a cycle with Affresh to clean and disinfect then switch to Finish.  

#18 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Damn, I missed it, what was the model number again? Sure sounds like a cold water wash with no heater function...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#19 hanly2

hanly2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

I have used finish and the dishes are way cleaner with the cascade packets. Finish left a white film all over the dishes.  I always make sure the water is hot and the heater is working still. model # is 665.13923K010

#20 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I always make sure the water is hot and the heater is working still. model # is 665.13923K010

Have you run the diagnostics per the tech sheet located behind the toe access panel? What error codes are displayed?

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics