Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Estate Washer Stops in Middle of Rinse Cycle

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Flavorite???

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have a Whirlpool Estate 1/2 HP Extra Large Capacity 7 Cycle/2 Speed Model 8280869. 

Everything starts off fine but about a third of the way thru the Rinse cycle it stops.  No humming or anything.  This happens on any setting (Reg, Perm Press or Gentle).

Thoughts?

Nick

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Need the washer model number, that's not it. Exactly what part of the cycle does it stop? Wash cycle - fill, agitate, drain, spin/drain...Rinse cycle - fill, agitate, drain, spin/drain.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 27 August 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#3 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Sorry about the model number. That was from the washer lid (SM #) .  I can't find a tag that directly says model number, but I see on the back of the control panel it has 3357978 (when I Goggled it, it appears to be the part number for the back panel).  There is not a lot of room to move it so I cannot locate the model number.

It always stops during the rinse cycle as it is agitating. As a result, the washer is full of water.

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well, we really need the model number. Likely a bad timer but I don't even know if this washer has a mechanical timer without having the model number and can't advise on part numbers either. Model number is usually under the lid somewhere, possibly on the tub cover.

Eric

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

The format of the Estate washer model numbers is illustrated in these model numbers:

• ETW4300SQ1
  • TAWX700JQ2

image64924img-or.gif

Test

#6 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

There it is!!!  Mod TAWX700JQ0

Also, is it possible to tell how old it is from the Model Number?   Serial number is CK 3003195

#7 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

There it is!!!  Mod TAWX700JQ0

Also, is it possible to tell how old it is from the Model Number?   Serial number is CK 3003195

manufactured July of 2000

Test

#8 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

http://www.repaircli.../3949247/547225

Possible lid switch causing it not to drain.Open and close lid do you hear a clicking noise if not bad lid switch.

#9 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

I think bigbuck has it right, sounds like a bad lid switch

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

If it doesn't drain/spin at all, then likely the lid switch but if it drains/spins in wash cycle but not in rinse cycle, then it's the timer.

Eric

#11 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

It never reaches the spin cycle.  Stops about a third of the way thru the rinse (using the knob as a gauge)

IS there a way to override the switch to see if that is it?  I hear it click, but not sure that means anything.  Also, the washer is 13 years old.  I might just go for a new one if there isn't an easy (i.e., cheap!) fix for this.

Thanks for all your help -- you guys rock!

#12 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

If it never drains or spins, it's likely the lid switch. Here's a video on how to jump it out. Yours is the second type switch in the video.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XAnQ6Ovvnuc

Those switches have a tendency to come apart and can be glued back together or cinched with a small tie-wrap rather than replacing it.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 27 August 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#13 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

yes you can bypass like the video shows to test it. It's illegal to operate it that way because people have lost limbs and be otherwise seriously hurt reaching in while still spinning.

reminds me of a story a guys was telling me once about tearing someones ear off.

I said, "really you tore it off, how?

He said, "Well just think about it, it's just a piece of skin with grissle, the grissle gives ya some to hold onto better. So ya just grab it toward the top half, twist, then rip downward. Comes right off!"

I'm thinking shit, why do people tell me things like this, I really don't want to know it!

Better listen to Bigbuck and get the switch:

Lid-Switch-Assembly-3949247-01603082.jpg

Test

#14 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

You guys are geniuses!! It is the lid switch.  Now...how hard is it to replace?

#15 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Never mind-- I got it!!!

#16 Nick B

Nick B

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well it is all back together and it works PERFECT!!!  The help you gave me was amazing.  The switch cost $38 and I probably saved $200.  But I got so much satisfaction out of doing this myself.  I'm giddy over this!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics