Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New washers must have hot water?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cindge

cindge

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Strongbow

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Greetings All,

Newbie poster and tech here, please be kind...

I've got a customer with a Kenmore 110.20022013 washer, pretty much brand new. Complaints have been that once, the drain motor stayed on (after cycle done, I guess), and once it stopped after filling (kinda like a lid switch problem).  These people have next to no water pressure, and no hot water to the washer. I have checked the drain motor, recalibrated it numerous times, and done all the diagnostics I can. I can't find anything wrong, and it sets no codes (lately). It did set a "long fill" once, but a previous tech erased it.

My boss (not that I'm second guessing him) says that modern washers MUST have hot water as well as cold to work. (There's no dispute anywhere about the low water pressure problem). He says even if the customer picks only the cold cycle, the washer still won't work right.

The problem is that these (poor, in the financial sense) people pretty much have a washer they can't use. Their plumbing is jacked (low pressure), and they have some freaky phobia about hot water. They don't even want it CONNECTED, much less used.

I work for a Sears service center, and we have a great relationship with the store. They are willing to work with the customer to get them a washer that will meet their needs, but it would seem we can't find one "plain" enough. Anyone got a wringer washer for sale?

Is there a technical description of this somewhere? The salespeople hadn't heard about this, so didn't know how to advise the customer. I didn't know it, and told them to run it cold only. I'm sure I'll hear from them tomorrow that running a load failed...

Thanks for your feedback.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

No machine sold today will work under those conditions. The low water pressure has to be fixed if they want to do laundry at home because the fill valves require a certain minimum pressure to work properly. The fill valve doesn't actually open using the current supplied to the coil, the coils pull a pin that allows water to bleed to one side of a diaphragm and the homes water pressure opens or closes the valve.  Plus, any machine with a control board will likely kick out an error if fill time exceeds a fixed number of minutes.  

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Kindness not withstanding....I agree with Nick. NO HE machine will work properly under these conditions.
you can try explaining it like this..."suppose you had a car, it wasnt wasn't running properly so you take it to the shop. The mechanic checks it out and says "this thing is out of oil" ...to which Joe Customer responds "oh we Dont use oil, never have"...can you imagine the howls of laughter from the mechanic? How is this much different?
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 cindge

cindge

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Strongbow

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Thank you so much. Oh, I agree completely. Basically, my mind was saying "Fix your $#@!". I had just never heard nor considered that hot water to the machine is a REQUIREMENT. I'm certain I've run a washer off a hose in the yard, in the past (older machines). I'm in a very rural area, and people do some creative engineering sometimes (to their own detriment). Thanks again.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

... it would seem we can't find one "plain" enough.

here's one :whistling:

washboard.jpg.gif

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Put a splitter on the cold water hose and run cold water to both valves?

#7 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Put a splitter on the cold water hose and run cold water to both valves?

That would work if there was no tempatures sensor in the machine this is hooked up to.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I don't think the new detergents work good with cold water

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

No machine sold today will work under those conditions. The low water pressure has to be fixed if they want to do laundry at home because the fill valves require a certain minimum pressure to work properly. The fill valve doesn't actually open using the current supplied to the coil, the coils pull a pin that allows water to bleed to one side of a diaphragm and the homes water pressure opens or closes the valve.  Plus, any machine with a control board will likely kick out an error if fill time exceeds a fixed number of minutes.  

sure they could buy a twin tub washer :)

I don't think the new detergents work good with cold water

i think its got a lot to do with the persons expectations

i wear dark clothes all the time

i use cheap in bulk detergent

im happy with the result and as i always do a full load with high water level the machine actually stays clean

only once i had white shirt wt a stain that would come out , i put it through the next wash with warm wash and stain gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics