Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

LoriB

Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer MDG9700AWW won't maintain heat

11 posts in this topic

The dryer works perfectly when detached from the vent, even though we have great air flow coming out of the vent. The vent was cleaned 2 weeks ago. When reattached, the flame shuts off before reaching the correct temperature. The coils have been replaced twice, with the same results.

Repairman says its a vent issue, but even he can't understand why since we have great airflow coming out of the vent.

Vent man says vent is completely clear ( I trust him- have used him for years).

Help!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

How long of a run is the vent from the dryer to the outside? and is it all 4" metal duct?

Dryer Vent 4" diameter

Vent should be rigid metal.

Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.

NO plastic

NO PVC

NO screws

Foil Duct Tape is OK.

With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F

Check / clean the Dryer Vent

Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.

Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

If you have a Harbor Freight Store near you,

$ 3.99 sometimes on sale for $ 2.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-pocket-thermometer-46586.html

image_1255.jpg

How long of a run is the vent from the dryer to the outside? and is it all 4" metal duct?

Code for dryer vent says they should be no longer than 25 feet, and to subtract 5 feet for every 90 degree turn.

Thank you. I will check the length and turns of the vent. But this dryer has worked well for 7 years in the same place. Why would there be a problem now?

Because long runs build up lent faster than short runs...

With that in mind you either have a mediocre vent guy or a mediocre repair man. If you have the same problem with the dryer unhooked from the vent, your repair man may need replaced...

Edited by micabay

I would also check the high limit and cycling thermostats. To much contact resistance causes extra heat and maybe causing one of them to open to soon with the vent attached. Unhook the vent and you get more air flow not getting it to the point where it opens as soon. I recently had one doing the same thing.I replaced the thermostat. I took the old thermostat home, opened it up and the contacts were extremely charred and yet the dryer still cycled with the vent unhooked (probably at a lower temp. but enough to seem like it was working ). Called back a week later and customer said the dryer was working perfectly. Hope this helps.

I would also check the high limit and cycling thermostats. 

Indeed!  

High Limit Tstat: 

Part number: AP4045617

Part number: AP4045617

Cycling Tstat:

Part number: AP4045507

Part number: AP4045507

Thank you very much. I am going to talk to my repairman about replacing those thermostats. It sounds like it could be the answer.

So, repairman replaced the cycling thermostat. Dryer working only marginally better. And, prior to his replacing the thermostat, I had the duct cleaner come again, and I watched him again. He used a brand new brush, and disconnected the duct in several places so I could see the brush come through. The ductwork is completely clear, and nothing came out. The airflow is great coming out of the house. 

The repairman siad that this dryer is so complex that I could spend a lot of money replacing part by part, and I would be better off buying a new dryer. But since this dryer is just 8 years old, I am being stubborn.

Should I just bite the bullet and by a new dryer?

oops, "buy", of course.