Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
frunch

Kenmore 417.94862302 stack washer - how to replace lid switch?

9 posts in this topic

I was checking out a Kenmore stack washer/dryer recently and determined the washer needs a new lid switch. This is essentially a Frigidaire top load stack washer/dryer and the lid switch has one of those locking mechanisms. I've never had to change one before, but it didn't look particularly straight-forward. I'm planning on going back to do the job next week, so I figured I'd ask here and see how it's done. Any advice?

Thanks!

Trevor

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thanks for the link, RegUS. I'm also wondering how the switch is removed and replaced. I could see a couple screws underneath, but I couldn't exactly tell how to take it out. Any suggestions?

Trevor

R0403086-00004.png

remove front panel, remove mounting screws from switch and replace, should be straight forward

Cool, thanks for the info, bayouboy! I'll report back with results after I get a chance to tackle it next week. 

Trevor

The two screws at the bottom of the panel are to be removed then the panel slides downwards off the hooks.  Switch will be right in front of you once front panel is off.

Just reporting back with my experience replacing the lid sensor/latch on the Kenmore (Frigidaire-built) stack washer. It was actually a very easy job, and here's how I did it: 

Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the front panel on the washer, the panel then slides down and pulls off. Next, you remove the washer top which has the lid and lid sensor mounted to it. In order to do that, locate the philips-head screws close to the front underneath the top panel, one on the left and one on the right. Once those screws are removed, the whole top panel including the lid switch can be removed from the machine. (just make sure to unplug the wires to the switch, there's a total of 4. 2 go to the microswitch on the left, the other 2 are in a harness together that pulls off the right side of the switch assembly) With the top panel removed, replacing the switch/latch assembly is a piece of cake, just 2 screws holding it to the panel. Re-assembly is just the reverse of the steps I wrote above. I thought this job might be a bit involved, but I had it done in 20 minutes or so. 

Thanks for all the help!
Trevor

Nice job!