Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAH8700 E3 Code - Front Load HE Washer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

(new to the forum, thanks in advance for samurai time and efforts)

I have a Maytag front load  MAH8700 Washer.. with the  E3 error code problem. 

I have read various posts,  (including yours at  

I understand E3 indicates  no "tach" response to the motor. and that often the cause is Loose wiring in the wiring harness next to the motor ....( In fact that solved my problem for a few months,). But Now it is back... E3 code.. and with small loads.

I can unload the washer, go into service mode, run a motor test and a quick spin test . and both work fine . 

When it  does error out, I can  "hear" a "click like" noise - right before the E3 code.  I thought i read somewhere  that click noise may mean something.  (but can not find that post now.)

I am wondering if i am looking at a failing hall sensor/motor (and if so a link to a repair video if possible, ) .  i can find the motor part .. http://www.repaircli...4001437/1185421 ).. but i can not find the  the part number for the replacement wiring harness. 

Thanks for your help

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Reposting, the link referenced in prior post that for some reason did not appear in original post  

http://fixitnow.com/...ah9700-washers/

Troubleshooting the “E3″ error code in Maytag MAH6700, MAH8700, and MAH9700 washers by SAMURAI APPLIANCE REPAIR MAN on FEBRUARY 20, 2011 in WASHER REPAIR)

#3 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Still looking for some help/advice on MAH8700AWW Maytag washer....  E3 error code..  Possible reasons/solutions

I tried replacing the motor. ( Manufacturer Number 34001437) (new motor seems to work, also  passed "motor test" and "spin test" )

Yet problem still exists. 

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

service bulletin

http://www.mediafire...TDL-0078A-B.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for the link to the tech bulliten.. But unless i am miss reading , it did not have anything more than the 'samurai' post. It is just saying the same thing E3 -> check '"hall sensor" or " loose wireing"

Based on the posts, I replaced the motor (hall sensor being part of motor) and checked wires ( believe secure).. ( there are 6 wires from harness to motor, if any one specifically carry the 'tach reading , I could focus on it )

Replaced the motor seemed a potential culprit, since hear an engaging 'click like' sound and it was failing w smaller loads now.

I saw a post somewhere that suggested when in service mode the 'quick spin' test by passes the out of balance check ... Since I can usually (95+%) run the 'quick spin' test post am E3 error..

now I am wondering if the main control board is in fact the problem.. Any insights out there?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

If you're sure the wire harness is good and the motor has been replaced, that only leaves the main control board:  http://www.repaircli...4001498/1185474

Main-Control-Board-34001498-01284988.jpg

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

MAH8700 wiring

rs94.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks on wiring diagram.. It gave some insight
(I had not thought to read thinking it would be 'over my head' or not informative )

Notice a couple things .. (In above picture top left )
The blue white Red being "motor power" makes sense .. As physically i noticed They are slightly fatter wires than the "pink orange blue" "sensor wires "

Oddly my wires are ordered differently pink blue orange ... Orange at the end .. I have not looked at main control board to see what order they are there ,

I am ordering the PCB main control board .. Be here tomorrow..

Is there a video on its replacement.. ?
( I am an accountant not a technician, this is all new to me)

#9 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

For any others reading..  the control board seems to depend on the series  of your machine (determined from first couple digits of  serial number) .  I have a Series 10 so the part I am told would  be 34001494.  

http://www.repaircli...4001494/1185470

If you're sure the wire harness is good and the motor has been replaced, that only leaves the main control board:  http://www.repaircli...4001498/1185474

#10 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

update.
(Waiting on PCB main control board to come in)

I have been testing using quick wash (with out any clothes), and getting the E3  error consistently. 

I tried normal cycle (without any clothes) and it finished the cycle . 

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Let us know how to turns out!  

#12 charlesV

charlesV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

update:

Received the Part (main control board) and Installed it and have successfully run a test quick wash cycle with no clothes and a normal cycle with medium load and towels. - both ran to completion 

(I would rate the install 'easy' less than an hour including board input/output tests, and only required a Phillips head screwdriver, plus no tight squeezes or bending)

so for now seems to be operational.. but only time will tell if the E3 has been eliminated. 

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Domo for the update!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics