Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

JimBo64

Whirlpool Two Speed Washer Not Going into Second Speed

10 posts in this topic

Hello...I have a Whirlpool Two Speed Automatic Washer (Model #: LSQ9010KQ0) that won't go into the second speed during agitation. It will fill and do high-speed (first cycle) agitation, but then it stops and will do nothing else. I can hear the timer making a slight noise, but when I manually move the knob to another location, nothing happens. I have noticed some grease under the washer for some time now, so I thought that it might be the transmission; however, I saw another post that might indicate that it could be a lid switch. I could be wrong, but I would think that if it were the transmission it would not work in the first (high-) speed.

Any thoughts our help?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

so ... in the Regular Cycle, it will Agitate OK on High for about 12 minutes, then stop  ?
And it will Spin OK in the Regular Cycle ?

In the Delicate Cycle, will it start to Agitate / jerk / Agitate / jerk ?

bad Washer Motor (or Centrifugal Switch contacts)

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=675936

Drive-Motor-661600-00632402.jpg

OR nothing ?

bad Timer contacts

or wiring to the Washer Motor

or bad Washer Motor (or Centrifugal Switch)

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=547654

Timer-3951702-00857319.jpg

If it won't lo agitate, drain or spin in regular cycle, it's most likely the lid switch. Power for hi agitate in regular cycle is through the water pressure switch, for lo agitate, drain and spin it's through the lid switch.

Eric

I checked the other wash cycles, and it wouldn't do anything. I siphoned out the water so I could move it to work on it. Now it won't agitate at all. Is this because of the low water? I will check the switch to see if it is bad.

Thanks...

... Now it won't agitate at all. Is this because of the low water?

yes,

will it Spin OK in the Regular Cycle ?

No spin. Just agitate. It won't get past the high-speed agitation cycle. I have tried manually moving it forward to spin and drain, and it won't do either.

Thanks. That's the first thing I am going to try this afternoon.

Jim

Those type lid switches are prone to coming apart. If that's the problem, they can usually be fixed by either gluing them back together or cinching them with a small tie-wrap.

Eric

Thanks all. It was the lid switch. Man was it a mess. Replaced it wit a new one, but the new one needs a little more of a plunger to make it work because it won't break the contact with the current plunger on the lid. So, used a little foam and hot glue on the switch part. Works fine.  

Then I realized why the new switch wasn't working right:  because I tried to save a shekel or two by buying a cheap, Chinese-made knockoff part on that damn auction site which I read about in the Samurai's awesome warning about this:  http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-677-a-warning-about-buying-cheap-appliance-parts-from-amazon-or-ebay/

Penny-wise and dollar-dumb, just like the Samurai said!  Yep, that's me in spades!  That's what I get for being a grubby cheapster, getting repair help here and then buying the part elsewhere.  

Here's the new, OEM lid switch I ended up buying that I should have bought in the first place:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/3949247/547225?modelNumber=LSQ9010KQ0

Thanks,
Jim