Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool refrigerator GX5FHTXVY00 makes loud knocking sound

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan S

Ryan S

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

This french door, bottom freezer unit makes a very loud knocking sound. It is about 6 years old and I don't remember it doing it until about the last year. At one point the unit stopped working and the repairman said the unit was frozen up and had to thaw out- I was baffled as the interior wasn't frosted - he said it was inside the space around the interior. Sure enough once thawed out it worked fine. He also said there was a failed circuit board that he replaced to prevent recurrence - probably caused by a power surge. The popping continued - the second repairman from the same company came out and replaced a component he said relieved pressure at the compressor (?). It did nothing to solve the popping. We then could not get them to come out again. Still would like to solve this loud popping - wakes me up at night all the way upstairs.
Found the documentation - the second repairmen replaced the "safety control"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

where's the "knocking sound" coming from ?

the Fan Blades inside the Freezer hitting some ice ?

May need to see the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils behind the back Wall inside the Freezer.

May need to post a video on YouTube

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Does it pop all the time?

How frequently do you seem to hear popping?

Test

#4 Ryan S

Ryan S

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

It is unclear exactly where the knocking comes from - it is rather infrequent but quite loud.  It does not sound like blades on ice (but good idea) - but does sound like it's coming from the external cavity.  Sounds like a pulling a syringe apart - a distinct popping.

#5 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have a frigidaire that is 3yrs old and has done the same thing since new. Nobody can explain it and it does'nt affect the operation of the fridge. There is no set interval to the non-rythmic popping. I personally think it is expansion of the gas inside the evaporator and it seems to happen to frequently to be a defrost cycle. I have been told it happens because of air in the sealed system. I don't buy it. I know this isn't much help but I do feel your pain.

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Does it "clunck" when the compressor shuts off.   Mine has been doing that for about 4 years now.   The internal spring on the motor of the compressor is broke & the refrigerator should of already met its demise.   But it keeps on ticking.  

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

All the newer refrigerators make the popping noises, it is the refrigerant popping as it changes state. Nothing you can do about it. My 2 year old Whirlpool top mount refrigerator does it, My old Frigidaire top mount made that noise too

Scott Wolf

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Yes there is something you can do about it, (doesn't always work but most of the time it does), I believe I read this in a Frigidaire tech bulletin.

There is a mastic pad right at the cap tube where it enters the evaporator, the noise is cause by exactly what ScotttheWolf said above.

Frigidaire's tech bulletin says to add additional mastic pads to insulate/muffle the sound, ordering the mastic pads if I remember correctly they are kind of expensive, I used permagum and insulated the area before/around and after the original mastic pad and it usually takes care of the problem.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Willie, Is the mastic you are refering to the gray colored putty like substance you see behind the cover on the evaporator?

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

If you are seeing gray mastic putty like substance that would  most likely be permagum and most likely not found at the cap tube to evaporator junction.   If it is at the cap tube to evaporator junction that would be the muffler/mastic tape.

I haven't had a Whirlpool one with this problem so have never paid much attention to what they have, I'm familiar with Frigidaire's having this problem and they use a black mastic pad about 1/16" to 1/8" thick by about 2" wide folded over the cap tube to evaporator junction point.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Older Amana refers had a popping / slight knocking noise.........Would not hurt to check.....Check to be sure the  filter dryer out put end ( cap tube ) is lower than the 'in'   side...... Liquid with vapor was entering the cap tube and making the noise as it entered the evaporator.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics