Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Woodster58

GE Side by Side TFS28PPDA BS freezer working but not Refrigerator

39 posts in this topic

Great thanks. The evaporator is already defrosted completely.  Where is the air return port? The refrigerator is unplug and will be until i i get the parts.  I was also looking for the defrost thermostat?  In the videos it says it is on the evaporator and i could not seem to find it.  Must be these old eyes 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

it should be clipped to the evaporator, somewhere near the top. The replacement limit has orange and pink wires as does most GE models. Yours should as well, so look for those wires and you should find it.

The air return port should be on the right sidewallof the freezer near the bottom of the evaporator. There should be a corresponding hole or vent somewhere on the left sidewall of the fresh food section about 3/4 of the way down. Sometimes you can see th e light from the ff section if you look near the bottom right of the freezer section.

there looks like a vent about half way up  just inside of the door jam.  Would that be the return air port?  i will have to look tonight when i get home for the Defrost Thermostat?  I am looking at the picture I took yesterday.  It looks like the replacement Defrost Thermostat does not have wire clips on it.  Should i cut off the old clips and solder or is there a better solution to connect?  

If you are going to replace heater and limit then I recommend you get part no. WR51X10029. The limit comes as part of this assembly. The separate parts will work just as well but you don't have to do any splicing with the assembly and you get a new harness.

Defrost-Heater-Assembly-WR51X10029-01219

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10029/880031

Regardless, the limit on the assembly as well as the stand alone limit has a built in clip

Thank you sir!  Unfortunately i already ordered the separate parts and looks like rather than wait for the new one I will go ahead and splice.  I did find the Defrost thermostat so I am going to splice it before the connection clip.  What is the your recommended  method to splice the two wires?. 

heater

limit

That is an easy splice.  i thought i read somewhere to solder and then use the heat shrink connectors.  This is much easier.  Thanks.

I cannot find the defrost Timer inside the FF compartment.  Is it any where else on my model?

I just found the Defrost Timer.  Disregard the last post.  

Ok,  I got the parts today and installed them.  I just plugged in the refrigerator and nothing happened accept the lights went on.  Any thought at all?

the new Timer may be in a Defrost cycle

So i should just wait a while?

up to 25 minutes...

OR turn the Timer knob slowly

it started cooling.  I assume i need to watch it to make sure it defrost okay bit everything looks great right now.  Thanks for all the assistance everyone. Particulrly Grand Master Funk.