Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool 9750 Won't fill tub

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

We have had a long term issue with this washer however just realized what the problem has been. I made the decision on the Whirlpool duer 9750 because we did not have a washer for some time and went to the laundry mat for cleaning clothes. The front loaders did such an amazing job that when we could purchase one, that's the type we got. We have had it for 15 months. About 7 months after getting it, we started noticing a funky smell. I started getting really bad rashes and skin irritations. I teach fitness classes and noticed at the end of each class there was a gross smell coming from my clothes. After researching some, I read many things about the importance of making sure you use the right amount of detergent. :rolleyes: We have spent the last 6 months cleaning the machine with vinegar, smelly clothes and smelly towels wash and measuring out 1 tbls of he detergant per wash. Long story short (maybe too late) I got so frustrated in this last month with my skin itching so much that I decided to just sit and watch the wash cycle. :whistling:  I couldn't see ANY water swishing around in the tub. The clothes are just getting pushed around the washer all wet. I called Whirlpool and the said it's out of warranty and I could check the water valves for blockage. :deal: I really don't think that is the problem, I have enough tech skills to hear a click on and off for when the water is turning on and off to fill the tub and I know there has to be some sort of valve or sensor that is telling it to turn the water off. I checked online to see that many people were adjusting the pressure switch in the washer and having great success with more water being released into the washer. I was sooooo excited I got my husband to go help me get the lid off the washer and pull it away from the wall to only be sorely disappointed that we do not have the same pressure switch as all those in the videos. The part we have is w10415587 found on Repair Clinic website. At this point, I am desperate (sorry but I have to live in this itchy skin) I took the water hose from outside and filled the dog gone tub so we could get some clean clothes. :beach: The load of laundry did not smell. Eureka!!!! :woot: Now the question is, why do I have a different part and what happens if I spend the money on replacing that part just to find out that it still doesn't fill the tub with enough water? Is there something else that this could be that I am missing? I just can't understand why there would not be a manual way on this washer to actually adjust the amount of water that is filling the tub. I would hate to sell the washer in this condition, I could not deceive the buyer like how I am feeling deceived. Someone out there able to set me straight? Someone please help this desperate mom get her family some clean smelly free clothes and stop itchin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

why cycle are you using, certain cycles use less or more water.  the Normal cycles is generally the cycle that is tested for energy star so it uses the least water.  If thats the cycle you have been using try using some other cycles and see if it makes a difference

#3 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thank you for the response. I am running another cycle right now. I tried that same thing earlier today. None of the cycles actualy fill the tub to the point that you can see water in the tub.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

... laundry mat for cleaning clothes. The front loaders did such an amazing job
... we started noticing a funky smell.
...  I couldn't see ANY water swishing around in the tub. The clothes are just getting pushed around the washer all wet.

would that be a WFW9750 Duet Sport ?

1) the washers at laundry mats use a lot more water than (government energy regulated)  home front load washers

2) from the WFW975 Use & Care Guide:
"After the cycle is complete, leave the door open slightly, to allow for better ventilation and drying of washer interior."

3) that's the "normal" amount of water for most all brands of home front load washers

That's the reason for required (low suds) HE detergent (sparingly)

some home front loaders have extra buttons for

"Water Plus" option,

Extra Rinse option

Tub Clean option

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Government regulated = junk sold to consumers. We always leave the door open. There is no water plus option, I use extra rinse and no tub clean. There is something so practical in play here though. If there is not even water in the tub for the water to move in and out of the clothes than the dirt is only going to get wet and perhaps move within the fabric. It's not energy efficient if you have to run extra extra extra extra cycle just to get clean clothes. The laundry mats have it right on, they use water to wash the clothes and enough of it.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Government regulated = junk sold to consumers. 

Nice to see people starting to catch on to this meme.  Expand on this awareness to all other aspects of your life-- low-flow shower heads, low-flush toilets (that don't flush well), light bulbs, cars, homeschooling... they're all up in your face.  Now take that awareness, share it with your family, friends, and neighbors and we can get some real push-back going on.  Can I hear an "Amen?"  

#7 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Before we junk and trash this washer I must ask, "did it work ok for the first 7 months?" You describe the problem being more noticeable after 7 months of use. Have you ever cleaned the drain pump? Those get pretty nasty. My experience has been that the duets fill with a decent amount of water. If you run a rinse and spin with no clothes in it how much water is in there?

#8 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Nice to see people starting to catch on to this meme.  Expand on this awareness to all other aspects of your life-- low-flow shower heads, low-flush toilets (that don't flush well), light bulbs, cars, homeschooling... they're all up in your face.  Now take that awareness, share it with your family, friends, and neighbors and we can get some real push-back going on.  Can I hear an "Amen?"  

Amen, I'm with you

#9 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

I ran a rinse cycle, the water does not even fill the tub to the rim of the tub, it's about 2 1/2 inches short of reaching the rim of the tub.

#10 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

And yes the drain pump was cleaned yesterday for the first time. It was far from what I would consider nasty and I have a pretty high standard of clean. It was covered with a dark grey film on perhaps 1/3 of the cylinder and the drain barely had any slug in it, a quick rinse under the faucet washed it right off. There was no smell either. Like I said in my original post, I expected this to be exactly like the ones we used at the laundry mat so I never entertained myself by sitting and watching the wash cycle. I personally think that long term it took time for the clothes to start smelling of the dirt before we knew there was a problem.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Post your complete model number.

#12 bjones2011

bjones2011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

WFW9750WW00

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

,,, the water does not even fill the tub to the rim of the tub, it's about 2 1/2 inches short of reaching the rim of the tub.

measure how many inches, depth of water actually in the Tub

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I was reading your story about the odor problem in the washer and detergent residue on your clothes. There's a lively discussion going on about this very problem in the Master Appliantologist's Dojo (link). Although you can't read that topic, I can share with you the gist of it:

1. Whirlpool is embroiled in a class action lawsuit over this very problem: http://www.slate.com...ass_action.html

2. One of Whirlpool's bandaids solutions was to sell a product called Affresh to clean, disinfect, and deodorize the stinky washers. While this product is effective and does work (we use it ourselves and I carry in my service vehicle for add-on sales), Whirlpool has netted a cool $195 million selling this product to fix what seems to be a problem with the machines-- nice work if you can get it.

3. I say "seems" to be a problem because not all machines are affected; the problem seems very dependent on customer usage. Your OP indicated that you were not using HE detergent for the first few months you owned the washer. You should be using a fresh, good quality, POWDERED HE detergent in the proper quantities:

The correct amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load washer is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Customers using liquid detergents seem to have more odor problems than those using powdered detergents. Also, using liquid fabric softeners seems to bring on odor problems.

Additionally, you should run a clean cycle with Affresh every month to get rid of accumulated scrud and prevent odors.

The clothes do not need to be steeped a pool of water with water standing on top of them to get clean. If the clothes are wet and tumbling with the proper type of detergent, this is sufficient. Washability in HE washing machines is all about chemistry. Using the proper type and amount of detergent is key to proper chemistry.

If you tend to do all your laundry loads in cold water, this will cause odor problems. You need to run hot loads periodically. IMHO, skivvies should ONLY be washed in hot water along with a disinfecting agent (bleach or other germicide) otherwise, fecal germs from the skivvies will take up residence in the dark nether regions of the drum and drain pump suction boot and give off noxious odors as they ferment. Sounds disgusting, right? Yeah, that's part of that chemistry I mentioned.

Finally, leave the door open between loads so the drum and basket can air out.

#15 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I'm not convinced the pressure switch is working properly. That particular switch has a high failure rate. This is a good time to take advantage of repair clinic 365 day return policy http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW9750WW00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics