Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rcav8r

Kenmore upright freezer runs, not cold anymore.

9 posts in this topic

Backstory: Kenmore model 253.21721103 upright freezer, manufacture date of 12/02, bought new. Worked find for years.

This freezer is kept on a stair landing that is protected from elements, but not temps and humidity. Worked fine for years.

This past winter, we started smelling burned rubber in the vicinity of the freezer, and we could not find a source for it. I figured it was a belt in the freezer that no longer had tension or something. 

When things started warming up, we moved contents to fridge freezers, but didn't get around to investigating until now. 

It runs, but it won't cool. Everything underneath (plumbing, etc) are clean. Condenser and fan on inside of freezer under panel are clean also. Fan runs. Will turn on/off with temp control switch. Everything seems normal. I'm starting to suspect it may have lost the R134 from a leak somewhere, although I have no proof of that. 

Any ideas of what to check? I am a fairly handy person, and have used this website in the past to fix other appliances. 

Otherwise, I'll have to call a repairman. I haven't ever done that for an appliance before. 

Thanks,

John

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

may need to post a picture (somewhere) of the frost pattern

of the Evaporator Coils in the Freezer after the Compressor has been running at least one hour.

leave the freezer unpluged for a long time , a whole day would be nice

(i hope this freezer is in a quiet place for this to work )

have someone plug it in while someone else puts an ear close to the compressor

when it's first pluged in , does it make a little whrrrrrrrrrrr sound

or

does it click after about 10 seconds ?

if yous compressor is clicking every 30 seconds or so , you need a start relay or PTC relay

or

you might have a damaged compressor

PS: if there's a little fan under the freezer by the compressor , jam the blades with a dish towel  (or something like it , just don't bend the blade), to keep it from turning , this will not hurt the motor for the short time you are testing and will make it easy to hear the compressor 

Edited by Cactus Bob

To answer questions:

No frost pattern whatsoever. It's not getting cold anywhere.

Compressor: It comes on for about 5 seconds, then stops. I hung around a few minutes, but it never came on again. I would think it would run for a long time for a freezer that is not cold at all, correct?

ETA: I went back out to listen to it, and used a timer. The compressor is running about every 2 and a half minutes or so, for about 5 seconds. I could not hear any clicks that would indicate it's trying to start more frequently. 

Does that still sound like the start relay is faulty?

... Does that still sound like the start relay is faulty?

yes,

Fridge should be unplugged before the Compressor goes bad

(if it's not already bad, prior)

It works! Big empty freezer went from 72 degrees to 20-25 degrees in less than an hour. 

Thanks all!