Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tips for storing old washer!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 perk3384

perk3384

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

So SEARs has my new washer and dryer ready for pickup so I am getting ready to put my old ones in the garage. My question is what advice would you guys give me on storage? I have an old kenmore 70 series direct drive unit washer and dryer I want them to stay in my garage as backups and for later when I have a shop with water hook up. What steps should I take to winterize the washer? Should I box them up? I'm going to clean the dryer when I get her out but not sure about anything else. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Make sure you drain ALL the water out of the washer and keep them in a place free of mice.

Scott Wolf

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

if you live where it freezes :  leave the water hoses connected for now , but not connected to the water supply

plug in the washer and select cold wash set timer like you want it to fill  , blow with your mouth into the hose to clear the cold water side

select hot wash and do the same thing with the hot hose

you can use an air compressor but be careful to much pressure and you will ruin the water valve

remove the hoses to allow the strainers to dry

the water pump should be drained and the hoses left off until you put it back in use , be sure to leave yourself a note on the outside of the lid about the pump hoses

if you live where it will never freeze ....EVER!  ,  don't do anything , i have found used pumps and used water valves last longer when not in use , when water is left in them , a dried out water valve or pump may leak when put into use , so be careful

a rule of thumb on these parts , when in doubt toss it out

Edited by Cactus Bob, 04 September 2013 - 10:31 PM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Let the tub drain down in any type of washer then pour antifreeze in & complete drain cycle.  Not only prevents freezing also will lubricate bearings & rubber hoses.   I also pour half cup down any outside drain traps in case of freezing weather.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Let the tub drain down in any type of washer then pour antifreeze in & complete drain cycle. Not only prevents freezing also will lubricate bearings & rubber hoses. I also pour half cup down any outside drain traps in case of freezing weather.

Use RV antifreeze for this method. The green stuff ment for vehicle radiators is harsh on the environment and not safe for any critters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics