Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Service Manual Request Magic Chef RB171PA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Dan

Mr.Dan

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Need a service manual for this unit so I can see how to remove the evap cover from the top of the fresh food section ( coils are between the freezer and fresh food in this ancient beast!)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

if it's the one i am thinking of , i have never seen a manual for it

i may be wrong on this but i think you have the one that the bottom of the freezer compartment slides out , this one is tricky and most of them you need to remove the doors and the panel where the freezer door heater is , there are long screws that go from in the fridge ,up .

sometimes the metal brackets have to be moves down , there are torx screws in there .and on top of all that you have to squeeze the sides of the bottom to clear the sides of the freezer ( right at the front edge)

lot's of fun

if you have never done one you in for a treat

we still see them a few times a year ........so much fun

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

Cactus Bob is correct.....You are in for a treat...................When I got one of these , I was thinking, I gotta take what parts off!!!!!??????..............Freezer door, fresh food door, Center hinge pin gizmo,  Couple of screws holding in the stile heater cover ( stile heater is electrical ),................ends of the stile cover will need a bit of persuasion to pop out ( mini pry bar works best ), ...........some  'T' - shaped  brackets will need to be moved ( brackets that hold the center door hinge , either side / swing ).............................  in the fresh food section, look up around the control panel,  two or three long screws ( remove before stile cover is removed??)......................Behind the stile, parts of the fiberglass insulation will be in there, probably  frozen/ water logged   ............Then remove the freezer floor, pull towards you..............If you can remember, assemble in the reverse order........

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Not sure what your problem is.... with a magic chef, i'll always say it's the timer. I don't care if your problem is a bad gasket with magic chef's i'll still say the timer is at fault

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

Durham, that funny that you said that, I just did one of these about 2 months ago, (Maytag labeled), and it was the defrost timer not advancing that caused an ice plugged evaporator/not cooling in frig complaint.

These units have a glass tube defrost heater so if it is all ice up, make sure the glass defrost heater tube hasn't broken.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 05 September 2013 - 05:17 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

What do I get ???........... Two days later, a RB171.....Magic Chef....."Not Cooling, Lights only"..............Already in the middle of the floor of the garage  .............Open door, lights on..........Real quiet.....Go to the back, reach down, rotate the defrost timer.......Unit starts.........According to the wire schematic,   noticed  the timer was on the neutral side of every thing............

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

What do I get ???........... Two days later, a RB171.....Magic Chef....."According to the wire schematic, noticed the timer was on the neutral side of every thing............

That explains it!

even if it's the cold control, I guarantee the timer is behind it. Once, I was working on a GE that stopped cooling, couldn't figure out what was going on. Went to the garage to check the breaker and what did i find in the garage? A Magic Chef fridge. Put a new timer in the Magic Chef , and the GE fridge started working again.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Mr.Dan

Mr.Dan

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the info!  This is in a rental unit for one of my bigger management customers.  I replaced the defrost timer and  everything seemed to clear up but now there is water leaking down into the fresh food. ie.  frozen drain.....  I think rather than trying to tear the darn thing to pieces I'll see if they can shut'er down for a day with the doors open.  Hope that clears the drain to stop the dripping.  

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

Some of these models the drain actually runs down the back wall of the refrig, (Yes - on the inside, not down a tube), then goes under the crisper drawers to the defrost drain in the bottom of the refrig floor.  There is a cap than can get plugged up with gookus, just pull the cap and clean the drain line out and reinstall cap.

Yours is setup in the above manner here's a picture (Ref#22,23)

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 11 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,817 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Moved to Kitchen forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics