As much as I like this washer, I'm a little hesitant to start throwing money at parts for our Fisher & Paykel GWL15 washer, but maybe someone can help put my mind at ease?
We started having issues not being able to make it through a full wash cycle. It seemed that the tub would not fully drain, and my wife mentioned a slight burning smell. When I started to investigate, it seemed like the water pump would engage, but only run for 10 or 15 seconds before shutting off, and sure enough, I could smell the "hot" smell as well. It would be pumping out water during this time however.
After finding out how to enter the diagnostic mode, I was able to fill the tub with water and manually cycle the pump on and off. Same result, it would run, and pump water from the tub, but if left on for 10 or 15 seconds, it would stop. I also did verify a code of 37 (if I remember correctly).
So, getting underneath the machine, I noticed that the outside of the water pump was slightly wet (obviously not a good thing). Not dripping a puddle on the floor wet, but damp to the touch. Other than that, nothing else seemed to indicate a problem (no strange noises, the impeller spins freely, water pumps out of the tub, etc.) I'm assuming it's the thermal cut-out inside the pump that is shutting it down, although I'm not 100% sure why it being damp would cause it to overheat to a point where it would trip the internal cut-out?
So my first inclination is that I need to replace the water pump. However, I've read in many different locations that odds are if the water pump is bad, more than likely the control board is bad as well. I know I also need to replace the agitator inside the tub, so if I start adding up the cost of a new pump, new agitator and new control board, I'm not sure if I want to go that route.
So, to the point(s):
1) Is it feasible that the water dripping could cause the motor to shut off and give the 37 error code?
2) Does anyone know how to verify if the control board is still good? Is it safe to assume that if I can enter the diagnostic mode, and manually turn the pump motor on and off, that the board is still good?