Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub Zero defrost troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Findlay

Steve Findlay

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beer!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi, I tried reviving an old post with a similar issue with no luck. Anyway, I'm having an ongoing issue with my freezer freezing up. Manual defrosts solve the issue only for it to return again in a few days. Last time I defrosted, I measured resistance on the heater element - it's not open, and I also put the terminator (the sensor on the cooling tube) in warm water and it audibly clicked.  Today the fan is making noise due to the encroaching ice build up, so I manually turned the defrost timer and after a few turns the compressor clicked off. I couldn't tell if the heater element came on since it's not apart but after about a coffee's time I heard the timer click back on - does this mean the timer is OK? I don't recall ever hearing this thing click on or off on its own... Logic tells me my next step is to take the cover off the top of the freezer, manually turn the defrost timer and physically feel the element for heat. If the element gets hot then start with a defrost timer? Does this make sense? 

Thanks in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

... I measured resistance on the heater element - it's not open,
... after about a coffee's time I heard the timer click back on 
... manually turn the defrost timer and physically feel the element for heat.

model number ?
1) should be about 21 OHMs

2) could be up to 25 minutes

3) should be able to see it glow

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 06 September 2013 - 07:11 AM.
21 OHMs

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Steve Findlay

Steve Findlay

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

I set up the towels and turned off the freezer. I can't remember what reading I had before, I'll re-ohm it tonight and post back. Hopefully it's something easy like the timer or terminator. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Steve Findlay

Steve Findlay

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Oh yeah it's a Sub Zero  Model 550  Serial 698245 built in '88....

#5 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Post back with model NUMBER.

I guess we were typing same time.

#6 woftam

woftam

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Defrost bi-metal should be closed when cold. Timer should be 21 minutes of defrost every eight hours of compressor run time. Check for 110v at bi-metal and heater while in defrost.
There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

You may have more of a drain problem than a defrost problem.  Check for blockage of the defrost drain to the right of the evaporator cover.  If found blocked you should be able to clear it using hot water and a turkey baster.  Newer model 550's had a defrost drain heater kit but this kit doesn't apply to your serial number range.

#8 danoam

danoam

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

These cal-rod heaters seldom fail, nor do terminators, if it's the original defrost timer, I'd replace it, they can stall out at times. If the drain tube is freezing up, since your unit has a drain tube too small to fish a heater through, feed a piece of copper wire as far down the drain as you can and wrap the other end around the defrost element, not a perfect fix, bit it beats a blank. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

#9 Steve Findlay

Steve Findlay

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Update: heater element reads 20 ohms. I put the terminator in our 2nd freezer and the circuit closed after a few minutes so it's good. I manually put the timer in defrost (while the terminator was still closed) and the element turned on. I picked up a defrost timer (8hr 21minutes) on the way home from work. It's for a Fridgidaire but looks identical; terminals match. I can see the gears turning but don't think it's working still. I'll keep an ear out for it and if I don't hear it over the next day or two I'll swap in the new one.  Thanks again for the input.

#10 Steve Findlay

Steve Findlay

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Update: I swapped in the defrost timer and it has been working like a champ ever since. Ice cream is rock solid and ice cubes are dropping like clockwork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics