Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Calypso Washing Machine

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

I was getting the FL code on my Calypso washing machine and from what I have read I need to replace the two water level sensors.  Both because I dont know which one it is.  But it also wont drain anymore.  Is this also because of the water lever sensors?

Help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

Hello, my sensing friend. In my vast experience with the Whirlpool Calypso washer here in the deserts of Afghanistan, the FL code, which stands for Flood Lock, most commonly stems from one of two conditions:
1. Using the wrong detergent in the washer. These washers require the so-called high efficiency detergents which do not produce as much suds as conventional detergents.
2. Something blocking the pump suction or discharge hose. I have found feminine undergarments to be a particularly egregious offender in this regard.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:21 PM

Should the drain hose have a kinda of bubble at the very base?  Maybe to keep water from flowing back down?  The bubble is inside and fairly easy to push through.

#4 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

I couldnt find anything blocking the hoses.  I know we havent been concerned about the HE detergent since we bought it, but the last 10 loads have been with HE, including the current one.

Thanks for all the help.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:28 AM

The bubble is the check valve, it's supposed to be there.

Run the washer through a complete cycle without adding any detergent.  You make have to reset an FL during this time.  That's fine, do what you gotta do but complete the cycle with no detergent.  Then report back here.

#6 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

with clothes or without?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

Without.  The idea here is to purge the washer of all soapy water.

#8 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:39 AM

My god, you talk about touchy.  Went through the express wash without a hitch.  So just using too much deterget?

Thank you very much.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

It uses less water than a conventional top loader.  So if you're using the same amount of detergent as you would in a conventional toploader, you have a higher detergent to water ratio and you end up wearing a lot of that extra detergent on your clothes.  Recommended reading on detergents.

Glad that got it fer ya!  :dude:

#10 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

With the first load with clothes the LD fault come on.  I also have suds coming from the drain hole in the wall.  I cut back on the detergent.  Is it possible there is still some in the system?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

So you're saying there's been an evolution of the symptom? 

Get back to a known condition and run the washer with no detergent and no clothes.

Suds out the standpipe:  Either a restricted pipe or your detergent sucks.

#12 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

I wish I could.  The FL code wont go away.  I have tried unpluging for hours and i have tried to leave it pluged in for hours, while it beeps non stop.   HELP>

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

FL stands for Flood Lock-- the washer is sensing a overfill condition or it's unable to pump out. The problem is usually caused by a problem in the pump: something stuck in the suction hose or the pump is stripped out.

Lay that puppy on it's back and the pump is right there underneath in the center, as shown below (click it for a larger view):

Posted Image

#14 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

O.K.  Nothing blocking.  I tried running it at a tilt with the hoses off and there appears to be suction from the pump.  How easily should the pump move when off the motor?

Thanks.

#15 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

I was looking at some parts sites and it seems that you have to buy the motor and pump as one unit now.  Is that correct?  The pump can't cost 125.00, can it?

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

If you re-connect the pump suction hose, can you get the pump to pump out at all? Does the motor still run? I'm trying to determine if the motor runs or not and, if it does, is the pump doing its job.

Post your model number.

#17 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:34 AM

Model number 22062100.  The motor definately still runs, but not sure if the pump is working properly.  will reconnect and test after I get back from the vet. 

Thanks.

#18 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

had it reconnected and at a tilt so I could have access to the bottom.  seemed to be going fine, but then I un-latched one of the latchs holding the pump to the motor and it seemed to kick into life.

Going through complete cycle now.  But it made it through about 4 loads last time before having problems again.

Do you have to buy the pump and motor together?

#19 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

110.22062100 will be the complete model number, 110 stands for Whirlpool laundry as Sears makes nothing.  And yes, you now have to buy the pump/motor complete as one unit, it is an updated design from Whirlpool.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#20 Bankmaster

Bankmaster

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

waiting for the pump/motor now.  3-5 days from Sears.  Will let you know.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics