Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE MODEL#CGS980SEM5SS LOC ERROR

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Does anyone have the Service Manual for this model.(No Schematic available) The cancel button beeps when pressed, but LOC can't be cleared. Circuit breaker has been tripped.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

No service manual needed.  What you need is the Use & Care guide.  Page 25 of the use and care guide explains how take the controls out of 'lockout" mode.

http://products.geap...=49-85159-1.pdf

Scott Wolf

#3 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

No keydance sequence works. I'd like to crawl through the circuit to verify whats failed. I can't do it without  a service manual. Thanks for your suggestion, I really need a manual before I go back and charge for a repair.

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Did you even try my suggestion yet?

Scott Wolf

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

The unit is in lockout mode.  You need to do what the use & care guide says on page 25.  

Scott Wolf

#6 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm asking for the service manual because I troubleshoot. I don't Shotgun or replace parts randomly. If you don't have the service manual that's fine. GE sent a technician and he wouldn't return so this customer asked for my service. Since you are so interested in details. If someone has the Service Manual I'd greatly appreciate it.

#7 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone have the Service Manual for this particular unit? If so I'd greatly appreciate someone providing it. Thanks in Advance.

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

There is nothing wrong with this unit, It is in child lockout mode. That is what I am telling you.

Scott Wolf

#9 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Your funny and wrong guy. So when your little keydance doesn't work then what do you do? Really I don't care I just need the service maunal which would have a schematic. That's all I need.

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

You need to ask for the manual in the right forum "Service Manual Requests", not here.  Just for the record, how long have you been an appliance technician?  It seems like you don't like to follow directions.

Scott Wolf

#11 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Your funny and wrong guy. So when your little keydance doesn't work then what do you do? Really I don't care I just need the service maunal which would have a schematic. That's all I need.

No, YOU'RE funny. I get this service call at least once a month. Every GE appliance (and probably every other brand) made in the last 20 years or so have a keypad lockout button or sequence. It is explained on page 11, item 16, page 25 and on page 53 of the user manual. Now scroll back up to post 2 in this thread, click on and read the link. The average age of my clients is 84.5 years old and they understand it. 

PS: GE usually hides the Mini-Manual and Schematic above the pots-and-pans drawer but since this one has a warming drawer you might have to look a little harder. Maybe behind the control panel, like they do in their wall ovens?

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

Thank You olyteddy for backing me up. I know I am not that hard to understand.

Scott Wolf

#13 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Lol!!! I will update this website on what I find. Hillarious

#14 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

I think there has been a misunderstanding. Everybody take a step back and reread the first and third post from cityboysrus. The way I read it is that the sequence to turn child lock off doesn't work.

#15 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

But it also appears that he wants to "crawl thru the circuit", from that it sounds like he thinks he will be finding a schematic for the board itself in a service manual if he can find one.   We all know that isn't going to happen.

If that is what you are looking for CityBoysrUS, no manufactures have circuit diagrams available for individual circuit boards, that is something you would have to reverse engineer on your own.

Sounds to me like you have a bad main control board if you have done everything available to take out of LOC, (I'm pretty sure if it were just in child lock mode unplugging the unit would reset it to normal operation).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#16 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

... (I'm pretty sure if it were just in child lock mode unplugging the unit would reset it to normal operation).

Actually it won't. The manual says the setting will be retained after a power failure. 

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sounds to me like you have a bad main control board if you have done everything available to take out of LOC,

Main control:  http://www.repaircli...er=CGS980SEM5SS

Oven-Control-Board-WB27K10378-01094858.j

#18 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Well, if it retains the childlock in memory when unplugged/so unplugging doesn't reset to default normal operation, then the problem could be a bad key for the childlock so it doesn't un-lock when holding the control lock key.  That would need the touchpad that seems to be separate from the main control or possibly a problem with the cable that attaches the touchpad to the ERC sense it doesn't look like the ERC has a standard touchpad ribbon cable connector on it and the picture of the touchpad doesn't show a standard ribbon cable as part of the touchpad, (it looks like there is a connector port on the touchpad that a cable would connect to).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

City,do you have the tech sheet? It may have a pinout of the touch panel so you can test each keypad.

#20 cityboysrus

cityboysrus

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

On the call now. You guys are correct no keydance sequence works. A new board has been installed. Touchpad still doesnt respond when touched. A new touchpad will be ordered. Learn from my lesson this one will cost me. No biggie you cant win all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics