Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
curjones

1990 whirlpool fridge

11 posts in this topic

Don't have the model number rigt now, but what causes it to ice up in just the first section of evaporatorpost-83040-0-36035900-1378703313_thumb.j   has r-12 refrigerant.

blocked tubes?

Some one said the drier could be plugged

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This unit is really clean, and was well cared for, I'm practicing on it.  Would like to try and fix it.  I hear the term sealed unit, buy new one, but also hear you can fix em if ya know how.  Still learning, and looking up to see if r-12 can be replaced by 134.. 

sealed system leak . . . .

could be anywhere

usually the Evaporator

You'd need

a set of gauges

vacuum pump

brazing torch

etc

That's a GE evaporator and it is sealed system related.  Sturdy unit so my guess is restriction or inefficient compressor.

Could also be one of the infamous GE rotary compressors. In that case you need to replace the whole system, it's totally contaminated.

1990 ! could be a rotary ! but that late of a rotary where made better than the older ones

a quick look at the back will tell the tale

the rotary compressor will sit right in the middle of the back bottom and be the size and shape of an oatmeal container

if it is ......place in your recycle bin and forget it .........

Has a drier on it and that was suggested to me,  as being restricted, compressor sounds smooth.  I'm studying a text book on ac, refrigeration. I've got some tools to buy.  I'm focusing on the other appliances for now.  thanks for input.

Got the tools to start learning,  this has a small compressor in the middle, cut out the drier to test suction to evap, had suction, but I dont have good pressure through the condesor line, is that a trashed out compressor, its not noisey or loud.

output of the compressor should be low volume but VERY high pressure !

so high in fact an old compressor with a handle and a cord on it , makes a great tire pump , just add a hose from an old bicycle pump to the high side with a hose clamp

I had ones like that when i was a kid , i know i was a strange kid , with an even stranger dad .

PS: you have a bad compressor ...........

Edited by Cactus Bob

thanks cactus Bob, I still wanted to hope, lol.  .  I am talking here only about units I own here, but is cutting the drier off and checking the pressure and suction a pretty good quick test to see if the unit is worth of saving.

Get yerself the book............"Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology".....Whitman, Johnson, Tomczyk................I have  the 4th edition   but it is now up to the 2012 version...................well worth the 125 Clam$