Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Leaking Whirlpool dishwasher DU920PWKQ0

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Started leaking water between the bottom of the tub and the panel near the beginning of the rinse cycle...about a gallon's worth before I noticed and stopped it from running to clean up.

I see that I need to take the panel off and pull out the machine to run it to see where the leak is coming from, but I am curious about one thing.  I could also hear sloshing inside the door and water was leaking out of the door just under the control panel on the left side. 

I'd have included a pic but am waiting for help to arrive to help me pull it out.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

http://www.repaircli...mber=DU920PWKQ0

This vent if junk up will cause dishwasher to leak between panels.With door open its on the left side and will pop out with a screw driver or by hand.

#3 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

http://appliantology...aks-under-door/

Same design dishwasher as yours.

#4 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Any suds on the floor or clean water?

#5 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

No suds.  Watched it run through and it begins to leak at the rinse cycle.  Pumps out water o.k.  Top leak stopped after we took the inside of the door off--I think we inadvertantly cleaned the vent.

#6 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

Not leaking under the tub next to the floor.....next step to pull it out of the cabinet and watch it run?

#7 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hubby says water is coming directly from screw holes at the bottom of the door....somehow the door itself is filling with water and then the water is leaking out the bottom.  He thinks the water is spraying through the vent into the door's interior?  Would that indicate a broken arm?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,712 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Remove the bottom access panels and watch underneath the dishwasher with a flashlight while it's running to see exactly where the leak originates from.  

#9 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Have you clean that Vent?

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Also check the square rubber grommet at the dispenser cup latch.  It's a common source of a door liner leak on the DU900 series.

#11 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

http://www.repaircli...mber=DU920PWKQ0

Check this wash arm Retainer for spits it just unscrews and also tight pump screws that  sometimes they loosen up.

Edited by bigbuck, 12 September 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#12 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

The vent actually was clean when we(the royal we--I post, he takes apart) took the door cover off. No leaks under the dishwasher while running.  Will check the other stuff tonight, thank you!

#13 srburk

srburk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think it's fixed.  Thank you.  I must admit a bit of homeowner stupidity, though.  We took all parts off in the inside and looked; nothing was wrong.  So we went back to the drawing board and started from step one.  We popped off the vent cover....now we had taken the inside of the door off and had seen the vent from the backside, and I had looked at it with a flashlight from the front side.  It looked clean.  So when we went back to step one and just popped the cover off........it was completely stopped up with mineral deposits (our water is very hard).  Took a screwdriver and a vacuum cleaner to clean it out and it is nearly through the rinse cycle with nary a drop of water where it shouldn't be. 

I thank all of you for the help; and the Samurai for the most excellent website.  We have fixed, ourselves, so far: dishwasher, refrigerator (twice), dryer (once), washer (twice), and the oven.  That saved me at least $450 in service calls.  That is a big part of our budget, and I appreciate it so much that all of you are willing to offer advice. Best $5 I ever spent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics