Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air Gas Cooktop - no sparks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wgoldfarb

wgoldfarb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

I have a Jenn Air Gas cooktop (Model # CCG2420W). When I turn on the gas the cooktop makes no sparks at all, so the burners won't light (I can light the burners with a match, so the gas is working correctly). It does not matter which burner I try, none work.

Since none of the spark plugs work, I am guessing the problem is not with the switches and I may  need to replace the spark module. However, I have never worked on a cooktop before, so I have a couple of questions. First, how do I diagnose the problem to make sure that it is indeed the spark module that I need to replace? I probably need to first rule out a loose wire somewhere, which brings me to my second question.

How do I get to the module? I am guessing that I can service the unit from the top (is this correct?), but I am not sure how to remove the top to gain access to the spark module.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

William

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hello, my sparkless friend. Did you know that our dear host, the blessed Samurai Appliance Repair Man, has a beautiful and inspiring epistle on this very topic? Yes, it is true. Would you like to read it? Alright, it is here.

However, may I offer my opinion that, based upon your problem description, it sounds like the problem is failed spark module? No? As you wish, I shall not offer it, then.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,238 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:48 AM

It does sound like a bad spark module; the article Moostafa linked you to gives details on how to test it to be sure.  First, make sure the outlet the cooktop is plugged into has power! 

To access the module, you'll ned to remove the entire cooktop surface, it's item 4 in this picture.  removing the top surface isn't really that bad.  This diagram will help you.

#4 wgoldfarb

wgoldfarb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

Thank you for the help to both!

I do have one more question: by looking at the cooktop it seems af if the burner pans (and thus the glass cover itself) are being held in place by the four parts labelled as number 15 in the diagram you sent me (I am guessing they are called Venturis?). However, these also seem to be connected to the gas line, as gas comes up through the center of this part when the burner is lit. I am afraid of unscrewing it for fear of causing damage to a gas line.

Can I just go ahead and unscrew it to be able to lift the cooktop? Do I even need to unscrew it to lift the cooktop?

Thanks again,

William

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics