Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

NO More Frigidaire Warranty Slave Work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

OK, I finally did it. After about working on 7 of the Frigidaire French door icemakers I got sick of working on them for $60. I told Frigidaire they can find somebody else to do their warranty work. I am no longer going to be their slave for all their engineering mistakes. If enough servicers do this, perhaps ALL the manufacturers will wise up and either pay more for their warranty work or engineer better appliances.
Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Don't blame you a bit, Scott.  I assume your talking about the cursed evaporator style icemaker with the ever expanding upgrade kits.  In the time it takes to complete this repair (usually on the second trip), you could be making double the money on COD calls.

We're seriously considering pulling the trigger on LG warranty service.  Every other servicer in this region of the state already has.  Requiring the servicer to warranty the entire product for 90 days is what I deem "indentured servitude".

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I can tell you Sears already dropped Frigidaire as well. They will service the ones they sell but will not do any third party work on them. They wouldn't pay enough at Sears either.

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

<<We're seriously considering pulling the trigger on LG warranty service.  Every other servicer in this region of the state already has.  Requiring the servicer to warranty the entire product for 90 days is what I deem "indentured servitude".>>>

A misunderstanding.

LG requires their servicers to "stand behind" their work for 90 days.

Example:

An in-warranty customer has a washer with an "LE" error---servicer installs new STATOR and MAIN BOARD.

Customer calls/informs LG that the washer still has an "LE" error (intermittent).

The *correct* diagnosis should have been to replace the HALL EFFECT SENSOR (and MOTOR WIRE HARNESS).

A 2nd service trip will be required to install the Hall Effect Sensor. Only the *parts* will be reimbursed to the servicer (no additional labor).

However....

If the same customer called LG again within 90 days---with an entirely *different* problem/symptom---this is considered a **new** warranty call (unrelated to the previous one).

The servicer will be paid for all parts and labor on the 2nd warranty visit.

Edited by john63, 30 September 2013 - 10:50 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks, Brother john.  I took another look at the notice and it does state "labor" so I stand corrected.  It hasn't been an issue yet but the way the notice was worded had me steamed.  I'm still not happy about the 90 day labor warranty.  I'm not concerned with our workmanship but there are other factors, customer use/misuse, defective parts, acts of God, etc.  I could submit for additional labor but that's more work.  And now the latest.  I have to request authorization to cancel or refuse a dispatch.  LG's sneaking their dispatches in after 5:00pm for service the following day.

I better get a Lucky Gold Christmas card this year.

#6 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

<<<And now the latest.  I have to request authorization to cancel or refuse a dispatch.>>>

Yes---THAT is plain stupid:)

Our *time* is too valuable to be wasted---further explaining/justifying---why a dispatch has been declined.

Ever get a dispatch for service---for a customer 1200 miles away? (wtf?)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

In certain parts of the country LG has their own factory service, BUT they will only service in warranty units. 

Why won't they service out of warranty units?  Are they afraid of making money?

Scott Wolf

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

I honestly do not know what the business model/plan is for LG-owned/operated service centers.

The few that I've met---have told me that they focus *primarily* on TV & electronics warranty.

It's interesting to note that---on more than a few dispatch-for-warranty-service requests that we receive---there's a memo within it that shows/indicates that the LG-owned service center ***declined*** the original dispatch request---*before* it was sent to us.

This gets me quite steamed---as I am certain that the "official" LG guys likely do not have to squander their time explaining-away why they've declined the dispatch originally:)

I did however get feedback from *one* customer with an LG dishwasher.

Her experience was that---the LG servicer appeared unfamiliar with the product.

In fact---the servicer had returned to the customer's home on a second visit---bringing with him a New Sump Assy.

After contacting LG Tech Assistance on the phone---the servicer explained to the customer that he was not convinced that the dishwasher even needed a replacement Sump Assy---and furthermore he added---that he did NOT know how to replace the Sump Assy anyway. 

Unbelievable.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#9 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

John, I was contacted by LG today to become an Authorized Servicer. She said that within 5 days they will email me a package explaining everything. Would you mind going over the pros and cons of this company? PM me if you would like. At the moment I do not do warranty for any manufacturer. I know there are strong opinions about warranty work.

Appreciate any advice, Thank You, Bob

#10 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

So  glad I dont do warranty work.I'm about ready to go Galt, pull the decals off the vans and work for cash. just my .02.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Sure thing, Bob.

Becoming an authorized warranty servicer for a manufacturer---should not be considered a primary source of income.

It is---a love/hate relationship as well.

Pay-per-completed-claim is atrociously low in nearly every instance.

Manufacturers love hearing themselves talk of---all of the benefits of becoming an authorized service center.

Such as...

Increased call volume

"Prestige" (cough/cough) of being an officially authorized servicer for the manufacturer

Training / First on-the-block to know of/about the latest new appliances as they're introduced.

Possible increase in labor rate (called "Schedule A") based on Customer Satisfaction Index (and every other type of data collection)

Priority status---based on service scores (first in line to receive dispatches)

Etc etc etc

The fact is---99% of what manufacturers promise (or suggest) is pure fantasy.

I've been associated with:

Electrolux/Frigidaire---good training but LOW-LOW-LOW-LOW labor rates (Soviet-style economics). No inspiration at all.

Speed Queen---good product but non-existent training and an extremely picky/penny-pinching management.

Samsung---good training/reasonable labor rate/but quirking management/corporate (unpredictable).

Ariston. Joined then---then company went belly-up. Dead-on-arrival.

LG---Lots of changes since 2003. Sells a LOT of appliances in most of the mid-to-large retail stores---this *high sales* volume means that you'll have more than a few in and out of warranty customers than say---Bosch or Sub Zero/Wolf/Viking etc

Has excitement factor (creative new products introduced every 2 or 3 years)

Reduced the labor rates a few years back---*many* good servicers jumped ship from that alone ( I don't blame 'em).

LG is the ***only*** manufacturer that delivers---when it comes to referrals of Out-of-Warranty service requests.

Actively keeps Quality-of-Service data/scores (some are an odd priority---but again---little does mid-to upper management REALLY understand about being in the trenches of service work).

Technical Assistance (phone-help) is not top notch--but passable.

Lots and lots of older experienced managers have been replaced by a much younger-set. It's painfully obvious that these managers (for authorized service centers) have very little in-the-field experience.

Quality of training went from Superb---to average---to maybe none at all (except online training format).

The greatest impediment/obstructionist/negative influence to warranty service---is by far "corporate".

In many cases---the service & training division within the manufacturer---are staffed by capable/skilled/knowledgeable people.

The ever-changing/evolving/twilight-zone nature of corporate---in an endless quest to save a penny here and there or temporarily mitigate a "weak quarterly"---does not promote or inspire Service Excellence at all.

For now---LG is "firing-on-all-cylinders"---but---with an occasional loud backfire:)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#12 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thanks John, That description was more than expected by far, Thank You! My business is chugging along and most of the time I am as busy as I want to be. A few weeks during this past summer I was too busy and was getting home after 8:00pm. One week I worked all seven days to keep up. Now it is slowing down and I always wonder why.

I have 2 Lowes and 2 Home Depots within a half hour on either side of me, so I am betting that the LG work would be fairly large should I take them on. I will take the info they send me and read it and sit on it for a while.

I have been in the Laundromat business with my father for the past 23 years and also service a few laundromats and 2 Rehab Centers/Nursing Homes that have Alliance products, so I decided to a become a Speed Queen home warranty servicer mainly to have access to all the commercial information. I am not anticipating a lot of calls from them because there is only one place near me that sells them and they are a "self servicing dealer". I have not been out on a warranty call yet, but the company is VERY good at replying to any questions that I have had by email or by phone. In this day and age, I cannot believe why people wont respond to phone messages or emails. I had a meeting with the Regional Service Manager for Wascomat a couple of weeks ago about becoming a second servicer for my area. The original servicer is booked about 10 days out and cannot get to some places fast enough. He told me to call the parts department to get set up for a discount, but I have called THREE times since a week ago Monday and no one has called me back! I may just decide that they need me more than I need them. We'll see.

Thank You, Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics