Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Touchpad Membrane Tester

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

I was thinking to get one but what I had herd was this was us for old ui not for the new one want more info on tester

I'm not so sure if that is true.. It certainly works on current appliances that use ribbon connectors. Regardless, I have a few questions for you :

1)What do you think will happen to the thousands of models that use compatible ribbon connectors and interfaces and the customers that need them repaired?

2)Between the supposed new technology that may be found in a few models now and older appliances that are compatible with the tester , which ones do you think would generate more repair calls?

Someone told me once that I should not get the Whirlpool modular ice maker tester because whirlpool has changed their Ice makers. That was about a year ago. Since then, Ive used that thing almost daily and it has paid for itself many many times over including twice today.

Old technology, maybe, but someone has to service the countless numbers of appliances that will remain in the field for many years to come.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 21 January 2014 - 10:25 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

I'm not so sure if that is true.. It certainly works on current appliances that use ribbon connectors. Regardless, I have a few questions for you :

1)What do you think will happen to the thousands of models that use compatible ribbon connectors and interfaces and the customers that need them repaired?

2)Between the supposed new technology that may be found in a few models now and older appliances that are compatible with the tester , which ones do you think would generate more repair calls?

Someone told me once that I should not get the Whirlpool modular ice maker tester because whirlpool has changed their Ice makers. That was about a year ago. Since then, Ive used that thing almost daily and it has paid for itself many many times over including twice today.

Old technology, maybe, but someone has to service the countless numbers of appliances that will remain in the field for many years to come.

oooh, tell me more about this modular ice maker "tester"! Didn't think one was necessary but I'd like to see what it is/does.

#43 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Would that be thisin?

$_3.JPG

Test

#44 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Pretty nifty... nothing a jumper and a meter couldn't do but this seems like it would be quite faster. What do one of these cost nowadays?

#45 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

That imt1 tester is cool, but I don't like the price :) I'll survive without it for now. It would definitely get used a lot like Durham said. Shoot I probably ran a handful of those ice makers a day at Sears. There are still new models that use that style ice maker as well. I did buy that ribbon tester too. I hooked it up to this microwave panel I had laying around and it seems to work alright.

Pretty nifty... nothing a jumper and a meter couldn't do but this seems like it would be quite faster. What do one of these cost nowadays?

$113, which is about $53 more than it should cost in my opinion.

#46 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

I just sent an e-mail off to my friendly account rep at WL May to see if WPL still carries these and if she can get them from them. If so, $50 - $60 my cost is what I'd estimate. I'll keep ya'll informed.

#47 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,899 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Customers love the look of that imt1 tester. Anything with flashing light the customer loves. Vent tester, ice maker tester, voltage testers with indicator lights. They love that stuff. Makes you look professional too.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#48 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

I like flashing lights too ... lol.   :whistling:

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#49 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

I just received this tool, I'm afraid it only works with the old touch-pad , where the veins are spaced far enough. I tried with the Maytag Dishwasher model MDBH980AWS0 the flex cable  the veins are spaced too close for this tool, they need another  adapter to be able to work any other suggestions about this tool.

#50 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

I just got one, it only works with the old cables. the new cables like the Maytag dishwasher mod MDBH980AWS0 where the Flex cable is small and the veins are so close, it doesn't work I'm afraid . May be they have another adapter  who knows........

#51 coolhandkenny

coolhandkenny

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:sprite

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

Sorry I am so late so is the tester worth the money?

The cool hand

If it ain't broke I fixed it.

#52 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

I don't think so........

#53 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

when you need it, it can be a life saver. It may not work with some of the new keypads but there are hundreds of thousands, if not more, older keypads out there and they need servicing too.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 August 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#54 arrow 1

arrow 1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Texas Tea

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Icemaker tester http://www.apdepot.c...rd&keyword=imt1

#55 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

http://cashwells.com...d=LIIMT1&sort=6 has the ice maker tester for 87.78 which is the cheapest I've found. If I had more calls for ice makers I might consider getting one. 

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#56 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Used the keypad tester the other day. It saved me about 20 minutes of tedious, near impossible, ribbon cable testing.

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#57 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

The real question, how do you know what lead to test on the ribbon when the diagram/schematic doesn't give that info?

#58 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

The real question, how do you know what lead to test on the ribbon when the diagram/schematic doesn't give that info?

you don't need to know. Simply insert the ribbon in the tester, and press each button on the keypad. If a button doesn't register on your meter then the ribbon is bad and you need a new keypad. knowing which button is bad is irrelevant

#59 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

you don't need to know. Simply insert the ribbon in the tester, and press each button on the keypad. If a button doesn't register on your meter then the ribbon is bad and you need a new keypad. knowing which button is bad is irrelevant

I ment w/o the tester.....  

#60 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

I ment w/o the tester.....

That's like trying to figure out how something is wired without a wiring schematic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics