Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Touchpad Membrane Tester

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

That's like trying to figure out how something is wired without a wiring schematic.

True.  I would like to get it, but it is a pretty big price tag item for someone with my salary.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#62 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

You need to be good with chopsticks or have a helper to test membrane ribbons, IMO. Get the meter in a readable position, then count the ribbon conductors and carefully place your tester leads on the required spots and hold them(here's where the chopstick skills come in handy), then find and press the appropriate pad on the membrane....all while not breathing. If you breathe, then you move, if you move, your leads slip from the spots on the ribbon...then you get to start over. 

If I were checking a lot of ribbons, I'd need to buy or build a reader.

Edited by skintdigit, 01 February 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#63 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 6,079 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

No chopstick skills needed with the proper micro leads..  

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#64 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:08 AM

How do these help, DurhamAppliance?

#65 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 6,079 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

How do these help, DurhamAppliance?

Microprobe alligator clips as well as special ribbon grabbing clips...attach to meter probes for hands free ribbon testing

see http://appliantology...on*#entry245787

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 07 February 2015 - 11:11 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#66 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Thank you for the helpful link, DA. I'll pick one of those up....while I still can. 

Bummer about Radio Shack declaring bankruptcy. Perhaps they'll reorganize and some stores will remain open, but....

I've always liked being able to drop in there and pick up an odd switch, fuse, resistor, etc.

#67 Radio Loco

Radio Loco

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger Ale. On the rocks.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

May not be closing the doors for good.....

http://radioshackcor.../restructuring/

We are open for business

Thank you for your interest in our recently announced restructuring. We intend to transition a portion of our stores to new ownership and begin a sale process for other company owned assets. Our domestic and international franchise stores are independently owned and are not part of our restructuring.

We expect to continue to maintain day-to-day operations at our open stores and on our website at RadioShack.com, throughout the sale process. Here you’ll find the most up-to-date information, including links to our claims agent site, restructuring information line, and frequently asked questions. Please check back for updates.
I think this will work. I downloaded the app.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting modern appliance's complex electronic and electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Heed to and trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM..has a flavor the protected will never know.

He calls me friend !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics