Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Microwave light, fan on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimnkevin

kimnkevin

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

The light and fan on our GE Profile microwave (model PNM1871SM1SS) now stays on constantly, with the door closed. The fan shuts off with the door open. The microwave doesn't heat unless you press one of the cook buttons. I've done some searching on various websites/forums and think it may be a door switch. There are three switches, one at the top latch (I'll call A) and two at the bottom latch (I'll call B and C). I've tested all three for continuity and the A and C have continuity with the door closed, but B doesn't with the door closed. The opposite continuity results are obtained with the door opened. Does this appear right? I didn't remove the switches when testing. Should I have done this? Should I be looking at other components?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

The bottom most switch or its plastic actuator tend to be the problem if it is door switches. The mini-manual should help with that. Range Hood model? Plug it into a GFI and see if the GFI trips. I've had this on a couple of GEs. The turntable and stirrer motors are 21VAC motors and get the low voltage from a tap on the main fan motor. The wire to the tuntable gets pinched and completes the circuit to the fan and lamp by grounding out. 

#3 kimnkevin

kimnkevin

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

The bottom most switch or its plastic actuator tend to be the problem if it is door switches. The mini-manual should help with that. Range Hood model? Plug it into a GFI and see if the GFI trips. I've had this on a couple of GEs. The turntable and stirrer motors are 21VAC motors and get the low voltage from a tap on the main fan motor. The wire to the tuntable gets pinched and completes the circuit to the fan and lamp by grounding out. 

Thanks for your response. By mini-manual, do you mean the one that came with the microwave or are you referring to something else. I don't see anything in my manual that  speaks about door switch or latch problems. I'm not having problems with the turntable at all. Only way I could plug this unit into a GFI would be to run an extension cord. Is that OK?

#4 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yes, the mini manual is the one page behind the control panel. An extension cord is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics