Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kudk03ftsso dishwasher will not turn on. Help tired of repairing it

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:wine

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

i am hoping someone with greater experience can give me some help.  I own a Kitchenaide dishwasher kudk03ftsso it is 5 years old.  I have taken apart and repaired this dishwasher so many times,,in the last 18 months...chooper blade....door latch...soap dispenser...thermal fuse (complete kit)...tub wheels...and the last repair was 2-3  months ago, I replaced the thermal fuse AND the heating element at the same time.

Came home today went to unload the dishes....water is in the bottom of the washer  and the machine is dead.  what am missing....problems with the wire harness....?  I do not want to put in another thermal fuse just to be back in this position.  I am not looking forward to spending the money on a new machine but I also do not want to be repairing this dishwasher evey few months. 

Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

...thermal fuse (complete kit)...

did you use the included wires in the Thermal Fuse kit ? :deal:

Part number: AP4423189

Part number: AP4423189

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

yes I did both times that I have replaced the thermal fuse I used all the included wires

The first time that I replaced the thermal fuse I saw burn marks on some of the surronding wires.  When I replacced the thermal fuse and the wires the second time it did not appear to me that their was anymore damage.

Thank you

chris

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Can you get your hands on a "Clamp-on"  style amp meter?????  Some thing does not sound correct on the current draw if you have gone thru two fuses.................I do not have your wire diagram  to verify your readings to....Check behind your toe plate.....

#5 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

I can get one tomorrow eve.  I removed the toe plate and see where the diagram was to have gone but alas no wire diagram.  If i do not have acess to the diagram can you still help me?

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Chris, check the main wiring connectors at the power box (located bottom/right/front behind access panel) for damage.  Also check the connectors at the capacitor for the wash motor and make sure they're tight.

#7 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Okay I took off the front panel and see where all the wire connect at the bottom center.  They look great.  Attached is a photo...the little black you see is the sticky transfer from the black electrician tape.  Also I pulled out the diswasher and looked at ALL the connections i could find.  They all appear to be secure. 

I was able to go next door and get their copy of the wiring schematics :thumbsup: .  Wow looks a bit confusing.  Tonight i will have access to a amp meter.

thank you

chris

trying to figure out how to pot a pic of the wire....not sure it is crucial but I am looking for all the help i can get. thanks again

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

http://appliantology...aining-pointer/

Whirlpool DishWasher
Technical Training Pointer
K4317454
K4317454-A
K4317454-B
K4317454B

KitchenAid
Jenn-Air
Maytag
Roper

replacement TCO Kits
W10402110
W10258275

KitchenAid DishWasher
KUDK03FTBL0
KUDK03FTWH0
KUDK03FTSS0

Repair Part List - W10128998
Tech Sheet - W10082651

#9 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

I have the multi meter and the wiring schematic.  However I will need help in readng the wire schematics and what to test witht he multi meter

thank you

chris

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

What you are looking for is the current draw during a heating cycle and a wash cycle.....And both at the same time for total current draw...It will not let me down load the tech sheet but the easiest is to just put the clamp-on meter around the main, power in ( black )   During the fill cycle  the meter will be some where around 1/2  amp.......With the wash motor running around 1 to 2 amps.......with the wash motor and the  heater operating, total amps could be around 11 to 13 amps total.........These are average current draw(s).........if you look under the unit, use a good flashlight, you should see the wires for the heating element..possibly red in color....You will need one wire  to  test  for 'heating only' current draw.........The tech sheet will give you the true current draw numbers for your model.......use the  diagnostic test for  all tests to start with.................

#11 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

I pulled out the dishwasher and removed the wires (red and white/red) and the connetors from the heating element and tested the continuity of the heating element...reading = .013 When i switch the meter to ohms it reads 13.4 ohms.  So it appears that the heating element is good (I just replaced this a few months ago).  per the wiring schematics it stated that the heating element has a ASM of  10 -30 ohms

I then checked the white/red wire that connects to the heating element and traced it all the way back to the control panel (Con 1...P3).   I wanted to check to see if i had continutiy and no breaks in the wire.  Yes I have continuity.   

I checked the TCO fuse and the fuse shows NO continuity.  I know from past experience that I need to replace the TCO fuse again but I am still confused as to why I have gone through 2 TCO fuses in the last 18 months, the last fuse was replaced 2-3 months ago.

I just don't want to keep replacing fuses every few months.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

thanks

#12 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

Well I replaced the thermal fuse. Over the course of 3 days ran 6 loads of dishes.  Went to unload the dishes and it is dead, the fuse is blown AGAIN!  So this come tomorrow I am off to look for a new dishwasher. 

Thank you for everyone and there suggestions.

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

... Well I replaced the thermal fuse.

did you also replace the Wiring Harness included with the TCO kit

as mentioned in the Service Pointer (above) and included instructions with the TCO kit ?

#14 soccermom

soccermom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes I replace the wiring harness that was included in the TCO kit.  I have replaced the wiring harness each time I have replaced the fuse (total of 3x's now). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics