Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Viking DFSB423. Replacing Water Inlet Valve and plastic tubing

stinky ice maker mildew copper ice odor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danramos

danramos

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Let's start by saying that I have tried almost everything to get rid off a bad mildew odor in the ice cubes from my Viking DFSB423 refrigerator. I have cleaned up the inside of the refrigerator a couple of times, used sodium bicarbonate, vinegar and even put the ice tray in the dishwasher on sanitize mode with no luck. Weird thing is that you can rinse the ice cubes before putting them in a glass and most of the odor is gone. I have put other ice trays in the freezer to see if the odor comes from the air flowing inside the freezer but the ice cubes created with these trays are totally fine with no odors. I also went and bought a new ice maker to replace the old one thinking was something in the plastic, but the odor is still there. It is worth noting that this fridge doesn't have a water filter, so the problem seems to me is related to the water some how. However, this fridge has never had a water filter and ice cubes were fine with no odor for several years prior to this problem. My research has led me to replace the water inlet valve underneath the fridge which in other internet forums people said there may be some kind of mold accumulation inside the water valve, so this is my next project before I put a filter in the water line (I find this more difficult as I have little to no space to work on the water source copper line that is underneath the kitchen sink).

The water source comes from a copper line that ends behind the built-in fridge. From that point there is a flexible 1/4 braided water tubing connecting to the water inlet valve underneath the refrigerator. From that point, there is plastic tubing going from underneath to behind the freezer I believe. I am planning on replacing everything from the braided flexible tubing, water inlet valve, to the plastic tubing. I have part order number PA970012 for the water inlet valve but haven't been able to find the plastic tubing part number in the internet. Is this something you can have access to? Or is it just a universal 1/4 plastic line I can get in the home improvement stores? 

Also, do you have access to a parts diagram for this refrigerator showing where the different parts are located? I wanted to get an idea on how to access the plastic tubing portion that ends inside the freezer before pulling the freezer out from its location.

I have other issues with this refrigerator like the defrosting tray filling up with water every month and ice frost build up in the fan that circulate air from the freezer to the fridge section on the very top. The tray has a heated system down below with a 24V fan next to it which by the way is unplugged. There is a bunch of wires in between so not sure where to start. Anyways, I am planning on opening up new topics for each problem though. So let's stick with the water inlet valve replacement process here.

BTW, I have this fridge service manual which I found here in Appliantology about a year ago, but it hasn't been very helpful.

Thanks. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 danramos

danramos

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

SUCCESS!!!! I was able to replace the whole water line coming from the wall all the way to the ice maker including the water inlet valve. Bad mildew odor from the ice is now gone completely! I replaced the flexible braided tubing with 1/4" copper line. I bought the copper line and 1/4 plastic line needed for this project at the orange improvement store. Very happy with the results.

If someone else have questions on the procedure, please let me know.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

... Weird thing is that you can rinse the ice cubes before putting them in a glass and most of the odor is gone

would seem to not be water input related

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 danramos

danramos

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Right. It was either water accumulation at the valve or connections with the braided flexible tubing. 

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

... Weird thing is that you can rinse the ice cubes before putting them in a glass and most of the odor is gone

would seem to not be water input related

let me re-phrase that:
would seem to be not water related

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics