Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool top load washer making loud noise while agitating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TDS

TDS

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

The washer is 16 years old . So far I've had to replace the directional cogs(dog ears) and the start capacitor

but that was a few years ago.

I had to move the washer out of my way a couple of days ago and there was what looked like water and something black and red colored. I cleaned it off the floor and put the washer back. The next day I had to move it again and there was a drop of brown oil. I searched for that in this forum and and the transmission was what I found connected to a brown oil leak.

The washer is still washing clothes, agitating, spinning, draining, filling with no problem but the loud high pitched screeching sound that is heard while agitating is getting worse. It makes no noises while spinning. Before I order a new transmission I want to be sure that it's the right part. Could this problem be caused by something

besides the transmission?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hpw much oil was leaked?
Was washer laid down on a side or back?
Was it all quiet before the move?

#3 TDS

TDS

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

The washer has been making this noise for about a week. The spot of oil was a 14" circle and very thin.

It has been sitting upright and never turned over on the side or back.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Maybe not even the transmission making the noise, possibly something stuck in pump and rubbing but not jamming it and makes more noise as the pump is running in agitate direction trying to push whatever back out of pump, or a worn out impeller thrust bearing inside pump letting rubber impeller rub against front inside face of pump.

Remove the cabinet, bypass the lid switch and run the machine with the pump pulled away from the motor, if noise goes away then need to remove pump and replace or remove obstruction.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 30 September 2013 - 06:32 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 TDS

TDS

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

I took the pump off and looked inside and the rubber impeller spins when I push it, with no noise or difficulty so I didn't find an object stuck in there. I ran the machine with the pump pulled away from the motor and couldn't hear that screeching noise.

So, is it the pump even though there wasn't anything stuck in there? I'm assuming the answer is yes since the noise disappeared when it was pulled off the motor. They cost alot less than a transmission. 

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

The washer has been making this noise for about a week. The spot of oil was a 14" circle and very thin.
It has been sitting upright and never turned over on the side or back.

I would like to suggest you check the transmission oil level, 14" circle leak, 16 year old machine. It has probally lost oil because it was tipped on its back a few times, change the oil and get new gaskets and seal for shaft. This I am saying if you love this old macine and want it to last another 16 years.. Gear boxes and no oil BADDDD combination!!!!

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Yes, good chance the thrust bearing that holds correct tension on impeller against seal has worn out and is letting the front of the impeller rub against the front of the pump, (I've seen them actually melt/cut a circle thru the front of the pump when let run too long this way).

The shaft that turns the pump impeller should protrude from the rear of the pump at least about 1/32", if flush with rear of pump or slightly below rear of pump then that is the problem.

Removing the pump and not hearing the noise also proves the pump is the source of your noise.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 TDS

TDS

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

The impeller shaft is flush with the back of the pump so I'll get a new pump and try that first I think with an oil spot on the floor I'm going to .have to do something to the transmission. I'll come back when the new pump is installed to tell you if this problem has been solved. Thanks for helping me with this.

#9 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

you should be able to find a good tranny at the dump. It only takes a couple of minutes to drop on. 7/16 and 1/2 in socket. dont even remove the wrapper. People are throwing these things out all the time. These old whirlpool d/d machines will be the rear wheel drive chevy's of the appliance world.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

And depending on how much oil really leaked out it maybe OK, (a little can appear like a lot sometimes depending on the surface it drips onto).

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Look for a oil leak at the transmission input shaft behind the drive coupling.

This is between the motor and transmission.

The tranny seal may be leaking there.

You can remove the seal and add oil through the opening before installing a new seal.

This eliminates pulling the tranny and entering through the top.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics